car battery, limited use, newish not taking a charge

Agreed, I've left all our cars disconnected for up to a year and the OBC relearns in about 20 minutes. Various ages of car. The only car which lost it's marbles was a friends GM Oldsmobile, where it was designed in as an anti theft measure and the reconfigure routine was a total pain in the butt.

Reply to
Capitol

Chrysler Voyager.

Reply to
Capitol

Sell it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Surely, it would be more correct to say "Onboard should either be one word or hyphenated", "On-board should either be one word or hyphenated", or "'On board' should either be one word or hyphenated"?

Not that either of us is in any way being pedantic.

:))))

PS: Not forgetting that rule of Usenet concerning correcting grammar.

Reply to
GB

Why? Most of the Chrysler products fom 1995 to 2012 approx have the same problem. Providing you know about it it's not important. A friend with a new 2016 Subaru has exactly the same thing occurring. It's known as a design improvement!!!

Reply to
Capitol

So, it *is* ok after all, for me to add "onboard" to Pan's dictionary instead of hyphenating "on board"? :-)

I guess Harry's ghostly presence[1] isn't totally useless after all. Who'd have known? :-)

[1] That ghastly presence of a killfiled[2] troll which manifests itself as quotage[3] within other posters'[4] follow ups. [2] Yet another compound word that I've added to Pan's dictionary too! [3] A more questionable addition to Pan's dictionary but Urban dictionary and wordnik suggest this is likely to make it into the OED within a decade or so. I'm just anticipating (and doing my 'bit' to assist) this "official endorsement". :-) [4] That is of course, posters who either aren't aware of the killfile filter, see Harry as a source of amusement rather than as a festering pit of toxic misinformation (the opposite of a "Font of Knowledge") or else simply CBA to utilise the killfile filter to "Send him to Coventry" in the first place.
Reply to
Johnny B Good

I've decided that "onboard" (and "killfile" and "killfiled") *do* belong in Pan's spelling dictionary. They all seem to be more legitimate additions than the compound words "binge-watch" and "binge-view" that have made it into the OED fairly recently.

That P.S. looks to me rather like a 'hedge' against Murphy (a minor 'hands on' deity) whose self appointed task seems to be the strict application of "Sod's Law" at every possible opportunity. :-)

Strictly (and pedantically) speaking, your P.S. has provided Murphy that opportunity since "concerning correcting grammar" ought to have been more clearly expressed as "concerning attempts to correct grammatical errors" :-)

However, some may well argue 'common usage' and that no loss of the intended meaning has ensued as a result, thus making it an acceptable "colloquialism". Murphy otoh, will always assign "The benefit of the doubt" in favour of the pedant's interpretation[1] and rule himself "The Winner" (he *is* a deity after all, even if only a minor one). :-)

[1] My, my! I *am* taking chances with all these long words. Tempting fate with regard to Sod's Law. BTW, I'm blaming Pan's spell checker for any misspellings there may be in this Murphy baiting exercise. :-)
Reply to
Johnny B Good

Depends. Are you doing a GCSE anytime soon? Or should that be any time?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not heard of any car that becomes brain dead or confused if it any of its computers loses power. The ECU may well forget the engine settings but it will then load a basic "these will work" set and relearn the engine over the next hundred miles or so.

Note "computers", a modern car has loads of the things. Very few if any sub-systems don't have a processor of some sort controling/watching over/reporting that sub-system. "Sub-system" can mean a single door...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Worked for me. At least the car was quite happy when I came to unlock and start it up after being left for a month. I don't intend to perform the opposite test leave it a month without the solar panel. I might see if I can measure how much draw there is once it's been "off" overnight as cars tend to have several sleep states.

But even if the solar panel is only providing half of what is taken that doubles the lenght of time it takes for the car to go into a coma.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well, I have no plan to do so right now (but who knows?), so it's purely a matter of personal preference intended to get Pan's spell checker to STFU.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Perhaps you should claim a FiT for them then... that seems to make solar panels charge nicely ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

It's quite interesting to use a spool chequer from a few years ago and notice how many new words - or combining of two - have come into use. Much of it from the US, of course.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

have a solar charger, I will try it if the sale of the car falls through.

Reply to
misterroy

Yes.

Yes.

Get a trickle charger.

Reply to
Huge

That's because it's harry, who's a moron.

Reply to
Huge

Most modern cars still draw current even when switched off.

Reply to
Huge

I meant sell it because it is a chrysler, not because it has a design fault.

WEll I suppose being a Chrysler means it IS a design fault.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dunno what you mean by modern. Some car radios needed a standby battery feed 40 years ago. And obviously anything with an alarm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wouldn't disagree with that statement. But IME the overall benefits outweigh the problems. I had 20 years out of the Intrepid with no major repairs and the Voyager is the most comfortable and stable towing car I have ever used.

Reply to
Capitol