Can you plaster an old lath?

My house has lath and plaster ceilings. In two of the bedrooms the ceilings are in excellent condition, so after recently purchasing the house, I redecorated them - wallpaper on the walls and ceiling. The two rooms are looking great.

However, the third bedroom which actually looked the best of the rooms, has a terrible ceiling. I've only just found out having pulled the ceiling paper off this very weekend. This ceiling needs replacing badly. However, some of the laths straddle this room and one of the decorated adjacent ones mentioned above. I've come up with two suggestions:

  1. It seems that I'll only be able to replace about 70% of the ceiling with plaster boards and I'll have to replaster over the laths which straddle the two rooms.

  1. nail a batton into the ceiling joist that runs parallel with the wall and nail the laths into this, cutting them off close to the wall, allowing me to plasterboard 90-95% of the ceiling.

Do either of these sound sensible? I'm worried that if I saw the protruding laths, it'll weaken the ceiling in the adjacent room and I couldn't face having to repaper it. Will the old laths take modern plaster? Is there anything else you'd recommend?

Any suggestions much appreciated?

Reply to
JavaEnquirer

I think I'd go with option 2. Not sure of the configuration of your laths and the top of the intermediate wall between the rooms concerned; but I don't quite see the point of fitting this new batten. I would just remove all the old plaster then very carefull and slowly saw through each lath in turn, gripping them firmly to avoid moving the parts which aren't being removed.

If you have access, it may be better to do it from above, so you can press the laths down firmly on to the top of the intermediate wall while you cut them.

Another tip, if you're worried about messing up the adjacent room - clear all insulation, debris and other assorted crap away from the 12" or so into the unaffected room, parallel to the dividing wall, and vaccuum clean it; then apply bonding plaster to the laths from above. This will attach to the nibs of old plaster which are extruded through the gaps between the laths, and should stabilise the ceiling significantly.

David

Reply to
Lobster

the laths that straddle the wall will be nailed to the joists in the other room & the bits that are over the wall will be supported by the wall. I'd just cut them from above (as advised by lobster) and plasterboard over the lot. if you use taper edge board and plan well uoi shouldn't even need to skim, just tape and fill, light rub down if required and paper over.

Reply to
.

You could always plasterboard over the laths, leaving them in situ. I am sure Andy hall won't approve, but it's not a bad solution.

If you are going to cut them off...I had a similar situation, and I used a Dremel with a cutting disc (a metal one, not the fibre!) to lop off the laths close to the edge. Less strain on the laths, too.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Carlite Bonding - sticks like shit to a blanket. After the laths have been cleaned of all loose stuff and dust i.e. hoover and then spray to dampen.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
owdman

You'll be unhappy if it's replaced badly. I'd suggest getting it replaced nicely!

:)

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

Ask any plasterer and he'll agree it's the only solution.

I'm amazed no one has mentioned the absolute mess ripping lath and plaster ceilings down will make...expect to re-decorate the room and spend a few weeks finding soot settling on all surfaces through the house.

I agree with Bob, leave everything as it is and screw plasterboards over the entire ceiling, re-plaster and that's it, very little mess, cheaper and overall a better job, instead of patches of different plaster all over the place.

HTH

Reply to
Phil L

How bad is the ceiling really? if its just got cracks all over it you could just get matting/webbing used for putting over the plasterboard where it joins. Use this the full lenght of the ceiling and a foot apart intervals then have the ceiling plastered.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Thew word you are looking for is 'scrim'

It sounds to me like the ceiling is ready for falling down...I don't think he'll get away with patching it up.

Reply to
Phil L

Fix battens ,probably 2" x 1"across the joists right through the existing ceiling ,screw plasterboard to these battens then tape/joint the boards then paint them..Don't remove the L+P ceiling as you'll be up to your armpits in stoor for weeks .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

that reminded me of eddie the labourer when my builder sent him in to tear the bathroom ceiling down. came out looking like a victorian chimbley sweep boy :-)

soot may not be present in a 1930's house, sarking may have been used under the tiles which would minimise ingress. soot can also be hoovered up before hand and the whole lot can be wetted down to keep dust to a minimum. still a messy job though.

Reply to
.