Can you crimp more than 2 cables?

I'm quite familiar with crimping cables end to end, but have an application where I would like to create a branch - which would involve joining *three* cables together rather than two.

Is there an accepted way of doing this - maybe with two wires (twisted together or not?) in one side of the crimp and one (perhaps doubled back?) in the other side?

Or maybe you can get Y-shaped crimps? [If so I've never seen one].

Advice please!

Reply to
Roger Mills

The Medway Handyman

In message , Roger Mills writes

I don't see why not

as it happens, I've just repaired an appliance which has two wires and a capacitor crimped together in one

Reply to
geoff

I have crimped 3 cables by pushing two cables in to one end and then putting the third cable into the other end with a short piece of wire to bulk out the connector. Doubling the cable over usually means the cable will not fit into the crimp.

If the cables you wish to join are not two big then put all three into a closed end terminal and crimp them up.

Or, as TMH has pointed out, Wago connectors. I am using the HelaCon Plus connectors at the moment which are similar to Wago and they are just superb.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You could do that. You would need to do a "tug test" to ensure that the crimp was working, but in the main, if the crimp is reasonably "full" before you crimp it, you should be OK every time.

Twisting together is not necessary other than to ensure that you don't have stray strands.

Scotchlok possibly with heatshrink,

solder with heatshrink,

or piggyback crimp possibly with heatshrink.

can also get y-shaped heatshrink boots, but they cost an absolute fortune:

Dave Osborne

You can also use a chocblock to achieve the same result.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Dedicated crimps for 2-wires into 1 terminal do exist - but require a different ratchet tool. They are used when you want to (say) daisychain earthing connections into the same ring terminal.

Check the website brand "SWA", I think they carry the crimps & tools.

For cost reasons it is probably cheaper to use one of the alternative solutions, ie, TLC Direct.

Reply to
js.b1

Don't need to twist. If you you are, say, crimping 3 1mm² cables, you'll probably need a 2.5mm² crimp. For the end which only has one 1mm² conductor, fold the conductor over to double up the tickness for better crimping. I do the same if I'm joining a 2.5mm² to a 1mm² with crimps.

You can get blind end crimps where you put several conductors all in the same end.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That would work - except that it's going to end up in an inaccessible location inside a stud partition[1], so is not really recommended.

[1] I have a 1.0 or 1.5mm T&E cable which goes to a wall light. I want to do away with the existing light[2], and replace it with two lights in different positions by connecting two cables to this single cable - and then sealing up the existing hole. [2] The existing light - which is totally unsuitable for *any* bathroom zone, is on a wall at the side of a bath, and is low enough to be in Zone 1! Although against all the current regs(!) this has not been too much of a hazard in the past, but will shortly become one when my newly-installed over-bath shower becomes operational! I propose to install two Zone 2 lamps - one higher up and the other further along, so that neither is in Zone 1 - but need to extend the wiring to make this possible.
Reply to
Roger Mills

Is that going to be OK from a cable-zoning point of view? Ie the corners/above accessories/etc rules.

I must admit that some years ago, before I knew of these requirements, I similarly did away with a wall light and filled the hole, leaving a non-compliant live wire buried inside a smooth wall.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Dunno, and I'm not too bothered! The cables are inside a 4" thick stud partition, and ain't going to come to much harm - whatever the regs say!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks for the link. Which of the connectors on that page did you have in mind?

I'm a bit confused by the descriptions because each connector is variously described as e.g. "3 pole" or "3 conductor" - and they don't mean the same thing in my book.[1] Clarification, anyone?

[1] I would assume 3 pole to mean 3 separate connections for e.g. L, N & E - whereas 3 conductor would mean 3 wires all joined together. Which do TLC mean?
Reply to
Roger Mills

A 3 pole Wago connector makes an electrical connection between three conductors.

So to join 3 T&E cables together you will need 3 three pole Wago connectors.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The WA 104 would work, just has a spare terminal. HelaCon do a 3 way.

3 wires joined together. These things are great for light fittings, so fast & easy.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Fair enough - as long as it's a conscious decision rather than lack of knowledge.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Combining them in an inaccessible location isn't a good idea. Why not extend one to one of the new locations with crimps, and then a new cable to the other location. Anyone following on in 20 years time would appreciate not having two cables appearing from one source.

Reply to
<me9

I'm sure you're right, but I'm struggling to feed cables through an existing stud wall with as little damage as possible to the plasterboard

- and need to take the line of least resistance.

But I will assess the feasibility of following your suggestion when I come to do it.

Reply to
Roger Mills