Can dust in thermostat screw up heating

Boiler does start as per times set (Twice: once in morning and once in evening, two hours each time). Water tank gives hot water. But all radiators in the house are cold.

This began after holes were drilled right above Thermostat that dropped lots of fine dust on Thermostat and surely quite some got in.

Previously when turned Thermostat was giving 'kt' sound when room temperature was crossed. No such sound any more.

Regards, BarJor

Reply to
bdaruvala

Hi,

I guess this is more likely if your themostat is one of those more mechanical ones, without the LCD etc. I would see if a gentle cleaning with a vaccum cleaner would fix it. Otherwise try a new thermostat. You can buy them at home depot.

Best, Mike.

Reply to
hobbes

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 02:07:37 -0800 (PST) someone who may be " snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com" wrote this:-

Possibly. It may be that the dust has formed an insulating layer on the contacts of some types of thermostat or obstructing other bits of the mechanism and is preventing the contacts closing.

If you know what you are doing, you may be able to turn off the electricity and clean the mechanism. This should cure it.

Reply to
David Hansen

What model thermostat? In addition to what others have said, you may have drilled through the cable and severed the neutral to the thermostat.

Reply to
<me9

Sounds like it is knackered or possibly you drilled through its connection wire. Investigate with a multimeter and see.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thermostat came with the place and I am here for 3 years now.

Honeywell is written on it.

It was an electrician who was doing the drilling. He is sending a plumber to look at it. Electrician was talking about some pump and motor not working. After he left I had a colse look at the Thermostat and saw the dust from drilling deposited on it. Tried to suck out the dust with hover, but dust has gone in definitely as the gasket it torn off at the top.

Just trying to be educated so I am not led into more expensive opening up of motor, pump, wherever they are.

Luckily weather is warm so can bear it few days.

Wonder if pouring spirit through top will clean up the contacts.

Cannot locate electrica wire coming it.

Will have to wait for promised plumber coming and giving his opinion/ estimate.

Thanks again.

BarJor

Reply to
bdaruvala

Boilers and hydronic heat systems can be set up in a variety of ways. From your description, it sounds like your boiler and domestic hot water work independently from the thermostat. The thermostat, in that case would just be controlling circulation to the radiators. While dust can be a factor, my guess is that the drilling severed conductors in the thermostat wiring

Reply to
RBM

But if it is a straight mechanical thermostat, presumably the 'kt' sound would be heard whether or not the unit was powered?

Its a really simple job to replace a thermostat (hey, even I've done it!), so I would pick one up from B&Q, try a new one in its place and see what happens.

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 04:04:30 -0800 (PST) someone who may be " snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com" wrote this:-

Don't do that. A number of things might happen if you do this, most of which are not good.

Reply to
David Hansen

Afraid to pry off the thermostat from the wall.

Do not see any screws anywhere. The round dial knob may be coming off, but will wait for the plumber as I sense that the electrician who did the drilling feels bit on defensive.

The drilling was in the ceiling of the hallway.

Thrmostat is quite a distance from both where hotwater tank is located and also where boiler is located.

Thermostat is Honeywell, Boiler is GlowWorm-Ultimate and Timesetting device is Landis &GYR(this being located in the closet where water tank is located.

Electricity wire going into Thermostat is concealed and the path to it is not clear.

Reply to
bdaruvala

But if a relay controlled mains powered one the noise would be absent. That's why I asked what type.

As long as the OP understands the various ways thermostats may be wired. Wiring the neutral to the heating satisfied contact (which is easy to do) can cause a bang!

Reply to
<me9

Honywell mechanical ones often have one screw either at the top or bottom. Once removed it usually hinges away that side.

So not in the wall above the stat then?

It will typically be connected to the boiler. When it and the clock call for heat, the boiler will fire. and the input from the stat will also cause a electromechanical valve move and enable water to flow round the radiator circuit.

Something like a Zircon cable detector may help you find it. It ought to be in a line either vertically or horizontally with the stat.

Reply to
John Rumm

"Do not see any screws anywhere. The round dial knob may be coming off, but will wait for the plumber "

I thought Plumbers fix pipes - electricians will know about thermostats as they are an electrical switch.

Reply to
John

That did suprise me and worries me.

I am giving him for the present benefit of doubt that he does not know how boiler is connected to other components of heating system.

Reply to
bdaruvala

Well in the grand scheme of things the heating wiring may be not familiar to an electrician, however the wiring at the stat usually follows one of two options - both will have live in and switched live out, older stats may also have a neutral as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Checked again. No screw even in the knob .

About 4 feet up in the ceiling.

Boiler does respond to Clock, but not to thermostat.

Will have to wait for plumber the electrician said he is sending.

Thanks.

Reply to
bdaruvala

As heating stopped after the electrical work, I called him saying he has bungled up. He came and as to thermostat he wondred why boiler is not responding, but quickly went onto motor, valve of pumping water into radiators. It was only after he left I notince dus piled up on thermostat and appliede hover.

Reply to
bdaruvala

Newer stats you mean.

If you want power for digits, or a stat with less hystersis,or a better switchover (with electronics/relay), you need the neutral.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Pull knob off. May be something underneath, alternatively may be clip on, or the whole thing may slide upwards on screw heads..

My Honeywells have a screw on TOP.

Before dismantling switch of boiler completely on the switch on the spur to it. Stat will get its live from that. (SHOULD. Check with meter before fingapokin)

:-)

Odd, since they are generally in series..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Based on some of the things you've said in this discussion, I would strongly suggest two things:

1) Avoid fixing these things yourself, forever. The fact that you even mentioned pouring a liquid into the thermostat disqualifies you from touching anything more complicated than a toaster, and I'm not even sure you're safe with that. 2) Ask everyone your know - co-workers, neighbors, friends - if they can recommend a heating contractor they've been happy with on a long-term basis. You could pick one out of the phone book and get very lucky, but probably not.
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom