C&G 236 electrical course?

You think thats bad wait until you do AM2 or 239/1 or 2400.

Here`s a book get on with it now that we have your money

Any problems postit on this newsgroup and you`ll get all the help we can give but don`t expect us to do your project

Gavin

Reply to
Gavin Parsons

Hi,

I'm a little perturbed by the way a local technical college is running a City & Guilds 236 course, which a young colleague of mine is attending.

Just four months into the first year of the course, during which the course has been severely disrupted by lecturers coming and going, difficulties of them providing rooms for the course, an over subscribed course, he has been handed a City & Guilds Assignment paper 'Electrical Installation Theory and Practise Part 1' 2360-101, assignment 02B.

The paper seems to be way beyond what he could reasonably be expected to know, even if the course so far had run smoothly. They have also been advised that if they fail the assessment, then they will be thrown off the course.

To add to his problems, a list of the required essential text books was never given, which has left little time to order up the books as recommended by the above paper.

Q. Is this usually the way these courses are run?

Q. Is it usual to be expected to do such a difficult paper after such a short time?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Sounds as though the course he is attending is c**p. I am am evening class student on the same course an am year 2 part one. In the first years theory all we did was maths and formulae and saw videos on the industry and the course text books and which calculators to get we were told day 1. I use the Whitfield electrical craft principles and IEE on site guide as well as a diy wiring and lighting guide. We had our first assignment Novenber and our 2nd last week , but the 2nd seems to be repeating a lot of the first What is the assignment about , drop me an e mail with the detail as i may be in a position to help, but as for getting thrown off for failing , sounds a load of tosh as colleges get money thrown at them for the more students they teach, or should I say have enrolled.

Reply to
Wheelbarrowbob

the office and start making demands that the course outline be provided as well as recommended reading.

I had a friend at a major university that was in the second year and they gave him a problem of programming a plc. No manual, no instusturctions, no nothing. Todd was really bright but this stumped him. He brought a 6 pack to my home and we sat for 6 hours as I showed him how and what to do. I had the programming software for the plc and he had a laptop. He never finished the assignement, a traffic signal system, sensors in the roads, timed turn lights and walk lights. He got something like 80% of it finished and working. He got farther than anyone else on that project. The instructor was looking for those to take a challenge and run with it. Not much help in the real word these days.

Reply to
SQLit

I passed my 236 pt1 in 2001 and the course i attended was very well run,drop me an email about the assingments and ill send you some info if there the ones i did. First floor side extension,working pig farm and confrence room where our assingments.

Jon.

Reply to
John Southern

I've heard this complaint loads of times, often followed by the course being disbanded. The colleges can't get lecturers. A while ago I was phoning around trying to find someone offering the PAT test course, without any success at that point. There was a small amount of confusion when the college thought it was for me, but I explained I already had it, and given they didn't do it, could they arrange to examine someone if I taught them. Their response was to ask me if I could teach a whole class ;-) I didn't take that up...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes Harry, some of these courses are very poorly run.

Then there is the problem that quite a few of the yound guys on these courses really don't want to be there (not that I'm suggesting your colleague was one of them!)

Is your colleague an apprentice under the JIB training scheme? If so, you could take up the matter with your JIB representative.

Reply to
Airy R Swipe

Did you read the OP before typing the above, HTF can someone be expected to know something they haven't been instructed about yet ?!...

Plonk :~(

Reply to
Jerry.

Sounds like they might be / over / subscribed and thus are trying to dump some students, they will be in more problems if they can't handle the number of students than if they 'encourage' some to leave the course.

Reply to
Jerry.