Buying emulsion

Is there much money to be saved by shopping around? Homebase and Focus both have Dulux emulsion in the big tubs (I think 2l .. but not sure) for £25. Can't really find anything much online though.

Also, what's the general thoughts on "Luxurious Silk" vs. "Matt"?

al

2L ??? for £25 .??? Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

Yup, decorators merchants, Leyland Trade mixed on site to your colour, every bit as good as Dulux, IMHO (and I always used to use Dulux).

Think I pay about £15 for 5L tins.

If I want something really special, I'll use Farrow & Ball Estate Emulsion - not as wide a range of colours, but not that much more expensive than Dulux.

Silk v Matt? Depends what you want really. We use matt throughout - don't like shiny surfaces, and no kids, so grubby fingerprints aren't that much of an issue.

Reply to
RichardS

Always buy trade if you can. I worked at Dulux for a while and a Dulux tech explained it's designed to cover better and go further - which it does.

We now always use mid/soft sheen emulsion. Which, as the name suggests, is in-between matt and silk...sort of the best of both worlds.

You get a much nicer finish then matt, which is still unshiny and it's just as wipeable and as hard wearing as silk.

On the brand front, i've just opened 3 old 10 litre tubs of emulsion. The two Dulux ones had skins like old rice puddings and had to be binned while the Leyland one still looked brand new. The Leyland was cheaper and looked equally as good if not better.

Reply to
RedOnRed

OK ... that sound's wrong. The 5l ones are the medium size, aren't they!? Must be at least double that ..

al

Matt is breathable for walls which require this. Do you know if mid/soft sheen or silk are?

This may be a function of how well the tin lids sealed, or not. Storing part-used tins upside down helps the lids seal better, so the solvent is less likely to escape over time.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

What is the difference between Dulux Trade paints and Dulux Retail paints?

there both crap and over priced compared to Leyland paint.

Reply to
Mark

I've not seen Leyland in any of the shops I've looked in. Crown, Dulux and own brand seems to be the normal order of the day. However, I've decided on two colours from Dulux and it's getting a little late in the day to change (carpets come in on Tuesday week and the painting must be done before then).

Just looking for the cheapest way to buy them. I've not seen Dulux trade either. As all the sheds seem to stock the biggest size of Dulux at £25, I was merely wondering if I could get it elsewhere any cheaper before I get

2/3 cans.

al

Leyland have a Decorator Centre in Glasgow so presumably will have them over the rest of the country and Dulux do also ..Other Decorator Merchants will probaly stock it as wel..Check the Yellow Pages and similar . Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

In message , Mark writes

I've used Dulux, Leyland and Crown paints in doing up this house, can't say I found any significant difference in their performance. Leyland don't seem to quite so widely available though.

Reply to
chris French

In message , al writes

Seems to be mostly in their own stores and maybe some decorators merchants

They are more widely available, esp. in sheds etc.

You get some, usually white, magnolia etc. in some of the sheds, but I'm not sure of the colour range in it - you might have to get it mixed. TBH having used both trade and 'retail' Dulux paints there isn't a great difference IMO (gloss seems a bit more different), I seem to need the same number of coats. As the website indicates, the trade version can stand a bit of diluting and may go bit further.

I suspect it is pretty standard in price, you could ring around, but I suspect it doesn't vary much

Reply to
chris French

?client=kalon_xml&db=pc&pc=BS378SP&place=BS378SP

Reply to
EricP

EricP

Leyland is mostly sold in professional trade outlets, and also Screwfix.

most also do a paint colour matching service, and at a vastly lower price compared to the shed retail paints.

(Unless you include the own brand *Value* coloured water sold in plastic tubs) ;(

You are unlikely to find Deluxe/Crown being used on site unless specified by a fresh out of collage interior designer.

Reply to
Mark

You will save more by getting a better quality. I brought a famous name one recently, and it took 4 coats, and was still patchy, a different famous name brand took one coat to be as good, and 2 to be as good as somebody of my skill will ever get it

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Go Rick, spill the beans. Whose was the best?????

Reply to
Steven Briggs

"Sorry, Missus Client, we're fresh out of collage - and rag roll too. Gonna have to be plain old paintwork for now, we'll stencil over it later." ;-)

(Sorry to pick on the typo, but it was too good an unintentional(?) pun to resist!)

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

Some people have a random sig generator, I was trying O.E.6 with the random Auto-Correct feature turned on. :-P

Reply to
Mark

At £25 for 2 gallons/10 litres -if that is the size (you might have checked by the time you posted the reply) it is £5 cheaper than that recommended by a previous poster.

Don't mix it with any colourant unless you are absolutely sure you have enough for the complete job. If you onver-order, you will not be making any savings despite however long the paint will last taking up space in wherever you have to store it to time indefinite.

One more thing.

There seems to be a lax use of the term "Trade" paint. Be careful you don't buy a paint designed to be used on freshly gypsum plastered walls. That stuff is not designed to be used on anything but interiors and will turn to dust is a few months -by which time you should be thinking of redecorating with a real paint.

It is cheaper it uses different ingredients.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

At the top?

Since they are all going to be using the same ingredients and aiming for the same opacity, the only difference in price will be governed by how high they can pile it and how much they spend on advertising.

There must be a list of really good covering durable paints on the net. I doubt there will be £5 between the lot on a 10 litre tub.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil