Building own furniture / What is Contiboard?

No, Contiboard is a real wood veneer, Contiplas is the melamine one.

They're both horrible. If you're planning this level of work, go to Ikea instead. They'll be cheaper than buying the raw materials. Ikea are also experts in making the best possible furniture from materials at this bottom-scraping level. IMHO, veneered chipboard is OK for getting things off the floor with Ikea's help, but it's not worth putting real time or effort into.

If you want a paint finish, go with MDF. You can work this with your circular saw, so long as you get a fine-toothed blade for it. Ideally a good jigsaw too (or else not - but don't cut corners with a cheap one). You can also use a biscuit jointer on MDF, whereas it's not a good technique for chipboard.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It's been nearly 45 years, so the details are not exactly on the top layer of my brain! I seem to recall that there were a number of adjustment functions built into it - I don't remember needing to haul out other bits of equipment to get it all set up. I'll ask my husband if he's got the manual - he kept a lot of that sort of stuff, when we cleared out my parents' house. It was an excellent TV - lasted for years and years - and the first one in our neighbourhood with a remote control.

Reply to
S Viemeister