Browsers OT

Whilst that may indeed still apply, and has long been a good rule of thumb, the fact that XP hits full-fat EoL very soon, together with it being a loooong time since it was officially superceded has meant that few corporates are the XP/IE6 closed shops they once could almost be guaranteed to be. As a result, I don't think it's going to be long before all bar the oldest and most amateurish websites start to ignore older IE in real bulk.

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Mike Barnes writes

That's worth knowing. Eventually this PC will die and an upgrade be forced.

The Turnpike suggested workaround is to go back to TP5.0 or thereabouts.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , tony sayer writes

Yes. I mentioned the small brain issue...

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Agreed. The only immediately obvious difference is that "IMW 2014" is very obviously bold in FF, and only barely darker than standard text in IE.

Reply to
polygonum

Stuff being IE specific used to be a big problem when they had 95% market share. Now they are down in 2nd or third place, and with the onslaught of new platforms and browsers, its not enough of a problem these days to be an issue unless there is some specific site you must use that won't work properly in other browsers. The only thing I ever have to use IE for these days is for some of the MS TechNet / Partner pages!

Anything older than IE8 is no longer developed for IME. There are some corporate sites that are still stuck with IE6 due to legacy applications built using it.

Reply to
John Rumm

If you get Win 7 pro then it includes "XP Mode" (basically MS Virtual PC with a licence for XP wrapped up in a way to hide some of the detail such that you can just launch your application like normal and still have it come up inside a virtual machine)

(Note Win 8 Pro does not include this as they have ditched virtual PC for their more industrial strength Hyper-V VM technology)

Reply to
John Rumm

Support for XP Mode in Windows 7 expires next April, at the same time as it does for XP itself.

Reply to
mcp

eh?

You got a source for that?

Reply to
The Other Mike

In message , Tim Lamb writes

writes

I'm running Turnpike on Windows 7 32-bit, and it works, but some buttons are no longer there and occasionally it gives an error message and all Windows Explorer windows close. There was a thread about this on a TP ng, but I think it just fizzled out.

Even with this problem it's much better than Thunderbird.

Also FWIW, my preferred browser is Opera, but the 1212 edition, not the latest, which I believe is based on Google code. The latest version is dreadful, which is really sad.

Reply to
Bill

Bill :

You don't say which version of Turnpike but I have 6.07 and it never crashes. The toolbar in the Explorer window is permanently AWOL but right-clicking is an equally convenient (if not more convenient) way of doing what I used to do with the toolbar.

I've not used Thunderbird but what you say sounds eminently plausible.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

As you would expect - it is after all a fully fledged copy of XP. It will still work obviously, but you would be unwise to use it for applications that connect to the internet.

Reply to
John Rumm

Some of us have *never* allowed XP to connect to the Internet.

Reply to
Huge

Mine does twice daily to trusted sites but only hand held by Norton.

Thanks all for the comments. It looks as though Firefox is the way to go in the short term.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

What you want and what Google wants are about to collide. You can continue to ignore the messages indefinitely but they are not going to go away.

Not unless they can do something even more drastic, it isn't.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

If you ever feel like graduating to a Linux distro, remember that you won't be watching any flashy videos until you learn how to turn them on. OTOH you won't need to worry about running security software to clean the PC every day or two.

And don't bother with NoScript nor nothing too, neither.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Sounds like K-Meleon:

This browser, even though close to Firefox in the way it works, offers a di fferent set of features. A few have been disabled to maximize efficiency. I f you need accessibility features or parental controls, then please visit t he Firefox homepage and get the official, non-optimized version of the brow ser.

Contrary to what Mozilla has done with their redesign of the user interface , Pale Moon will continue to provide a familiar set of controls and visual feedback similar to previous versions, including grouped navigation buttons of a decent size, a bookmarks toolbar that is enabled by default, tabs nex t to page content by default (easily switchable) and a functional status ba r.

***

IIRC that was a really fast browser but I moved to Linux about then, so tha t all became moot as all browsers in Linux are that fast. I have an inclina tion to try a Tiny WinX version of some sort; to compare things. (Goodness knows WTF but... well, people do the silliest things. Maybe I just need pur ging?)

They can't have been my good old days can they? Bloody hell that IS sad.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

That rather depnds on the way the particualar linux is set up.

Linux mint, for example, will load you a working flash setup right away.

Well exactly.

Imagine plain simple old Windows XP with all the bugs taken, out that doesn't crash, and everything that you had to pay for supplied free, and all the bits you wished XP had had built in, and all teh bits you wished XP hadnt had, removed.

Linux mint mate.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

John Rumm put finger to keyboard:

Can it be snapshotted in the same way that Hyper-V VMs can? That's one guard against malware.

Reply to
Scion

Yup, you can just copy the .vmcx file and have a backup to revert to.

Although you still carry some risk that once penetrated, it can be a stepping stone to other parts of your network that is inside your perimeter defences - even if its only for the duration of a session.

Reply to
John Rumm

On Thursday, 19 September 2013 05:35:26 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wro te:

I was using Magei 3 that found my cable to Virgin straight away. I put Ubuntu 10.10 on another machine because Red Hat wouldn't find the hub (Not its fault Ubuntu failed too.)

So now I am going to get a copy of Mint, if I have a reasonably modern disc (I can't think why I still buy the occasional Linux Format Magazine, the l ast one I bought was splashing Debian all over the cover and cover of the d isc. It turned out not to be a self installer I had to create an ISO. All t he other distros on there (the Mageia which I really liked until I got an I SP for instance.))

Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know how it all goes t*ts up. And then go and get Tiny XP. and maybe Tiny 98. Does Bowlers still have a decent turnou t? Northern Compute Markets don't go anywhere else these days. They used to be good before the era of the popular home computer.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer