brass door handles

Hi.

I bought some brass door handles and was a bit disappointed with what I received. Looking in the diy stores they all look the same design and I suspect they are all by the same manufacturer and just put in Focus/Wickes/B&Q boxes.

The brass is covered in a varnish and this seems to be lightly scratched at the time of sale. Shallow scratches are not that bad if the light doesn't hit at the right angle but some had scratches deep enough to be visible so I took those back.

Over time the lacquer peels off and the brass underneath tarnishes. I have not used any caustic cleaners, so what has caused this?

I did buy some more expensive handles mail order but these suffered the same fate. Is this an inherent problem with brass handles?

Thanks.

Reply to
nospam

You are probably right.

Simply that the laquer isn't good enough for the job.

Brass by it's nature tarnishes when exposed to the elements. It's only the quality of the laquer that prevents it.

Some just accept the tarnished colour.........

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You can buy both lacquer and lacquer remover. Mine are very old, so I can't say where - probably a shed.

Remove old lacquer completely with lacquer remover. Polish brass with Brasso. Ensure all traces of Brasso are removed. Apply Lacquer with a small soft brush.

A lot of work, and it still doesn't last for very long on a high wear area (like a door handle) :-(.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Thanks. It's reassured me that you've had the same problems. I was worried I was being sent the dud batches. I think the manufacturers use the minimum amount of lacquer to save money and this is what is causing the problem.

Reply to
nospam

Often a packaging problem. The lacquered handle has been tightly vacuum packed too soon after coating thereby trapping some of the lacquer's solvent. This, over time, softens the surface enough for it to take on a mark from the package. I find the fix is to quickly wipe a mark in the lacquer with a solvent and leave to dry. The object being to smooth the lacquer, not remove it.

Reply to
JohnDW

Me. I really don't like the highly polished lacquered look and like it even less when (not if) the lacquer fails. Nothing wrong with the patina of wear and use.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks. What lacquer and lacquer removers do you recommend if I went down the route of removing and reapplying or just smoothing as you suggest? Is there a special metal lacquer? What's the difference between a lacquer and a varnish?

Reply to
nospam

I've just looked for the tins but can't find them. I think it was a clear cellulose lacquer I had left over from car building. The solvent I had for thinning also worked to soften the coating of the brass fitting. Try acetone, but be warned that some solvents may leave a ridged surface, since they evaporate too rapidly.

Putting it simply, a lacquer is a usually type of coating that dries by rapid solvent evaporation, and yes, there are types for metal. Varnish is primarily designed for wood, using an oil that dries, usually slowly. You normally spray a lacquer and brush a varnish.

Reply to
JohnDW

I think originally a varnish was translucent and a lacquer was not.

I generally these days think of lacquer to mean a paint that is thick enough and glossy enough to totally obliterate whats underneath and hard enough to take a lot of wear. Of course what YOu want is a ''clear lacquer.

Frankly, I'd dip it repeatedly in finishing epoxy meself, and then polish up afterwards..solvent paints and varnishes are seldom tough enough.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher