Box for a DIN rail module..

I plan to use a timer relay that is supposed to be DIN rail mounted to control an exterior light (it's actually cheaper than an IP56 pneumatic switch).

The relay is standard DIN rail size, i.e. approx 90mmx45mmx18mm. Too long to cram into a standard weatherproof push switch like this one: .

Does anybody know of boxes designed to take this sort of thing, preferably flat to the wall to reduce the depth? Or do I just need to find a generic adaptable box and bodge it in?

Or alternatively, I need a 240V timer relay with 240V 5A switching and a range of about 1-3 minutes for under about £15..

Reply to
PCPaul

Yes, RS have a very wide range of them in various materials and finishes complete with DIN rail.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Think I saw electronic switches - to replace the pneumatic variety - in the new TLC cat.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd expect these to be available from TLC/RS/CPC etc smallest ones take

3 or 4 standard width DIN modules. Usually surface mounted but could be let into a wall for flush mount. I've got a main incomer isolator mounted in one from MK but I can't recall where I bought it.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Pnumatic one from TLC is £16.50 - would that not be easier!?

Toby

Oops, I wasn't very clear about what I was after.. I know there are standard DIN rail boxes, but what I want is a box designed to only fit the one module, and preferably in a side-on orientation to reduce the depth to something more like a standard surface mounted light switch.

I suppose the only real difference between that and a generic box is having a nice solid rail to mount it onto - maybe I should just search for a suitable box and sit it inside.. I'm guessing these things can run a bit warm when run near their rated limits, so a dab of hot glue to keep them in place isn't a good idea?

Reply to
PCPaul

even then that's 'not suitable for high UV exposure - e.g. sunlight - so it would presumably degrade after a few years like the current one has.

That's why I'm looking at using a timer relay and some sort of weatherproof/vandalproof switch.

One option I'm considering is to just mount the switch outside and the relay/box on the other side of the wall (it's on the garage).

Reply to
PCPaul

Several to chose from, like :

John Rumm

B&Q (and most other places) used to stock a DIN rail type box intended for a single RCD, which may be narrow enough for your requirement. They may well still have them. You need a small independent supplier who knows what he's talking about to discuss exactly what you want to fix where...

It isn't really a very good idea to bodge this type of gadget with glue. For one thing it destroys the whole concept of 'standard' fittings (although I have done the same sort of thing myself on several occasions!), but it makes it a real bu66er to replace parts when they do go faulty, as things like timers tend to do quite regularly :-(

Reply to
Frank Erskine

My entire door entry system is assembled into a big lockable steel box using double-sided foam sticky tape.

Much easier to replace parts than trying to pry out stuck bolts or rivets :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The Elkay 320 is what you are looking for - a delay unit in a standard plateswitch fitting. Requires neutral. The 350 series have their own pushbutton too and do not require neutral at the switch. Both can be wired as a master with multiple slave switches in parallel.

The 361 is a touch activated weatherproof electronic timer, IP66 rated.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Hmm... their stuff is very pretty and they have several things that would fit the bill *but* I can't see any mention of prices anywhere on t'web. They have the look of 'if you have to ask the price...' about them?

Reply to
PCPaul

Hmmm. Danlers have some similar stuff, TLSW10 £19.50 (trade)

stock Danlers photocells and PIRs so might be able to order the timedelay switches for you.

Owain

Reply to
Owain