Bosch Maxx Washing Machine Drum doesn't turn

I have a Bosch Maxx WFL2450 washing machine about four and a half years old.

About a fortnight ago I was told our washing maching hadn't spun. It wasn't spinning, but the drum was turning in the wash cycle.

I'd checked the pump chamber which was empty.

I checked the pressure switch which seemed to be ok, on the assumption it was a single level switch, it has four connectors but one connector wasn't switching when I tried continuity tests.

I tried to check the motor brushes by laying the machine on its front, all I could see was part of the communator from the base of the machine. The sides and back are one folded sheet and don't look designed to be removed for service access.

Machine still wasn't spinning when I heard a pump rattle and removed a small coin an ear ring which must have been dislodged from somewhere when I was moving the machine.

It worked well until today. The motor doesn't turn in the wash or spin cycles. The drum turns as normal and the belt appears ok.

Nothing apparently in the pump sump, the level switch seems ok and now I want to check the brushes. I wonder if the original problem was the brushes.

Can anyone suggest how to check the brushes? From the base I think I'd have to remove the motor which looks very awkward. I wonder if the front panel comes off to give front access, but before I try I'd like to know it does come off easily, what to do with the door and how to deal with the door seal etc.

Any other suggestion about this problem would be welcome.

Thanks

Ian.

Reply to
ian

I had exactly the same fault. Ours went at around 6 years. Was the brushes.

I pulled the washer out and tilted it backwards against a chair at about 45 degrees. Then had good access from below. Not sure what your model is like exactly, but romved plug onto motor, then undid a long hex bolt (into plastic). You could then slide of the two ther rubber mountings. I am fairly sure I had to fold back the brush housings to replace the brushes. Reckon if carefull you could do this 3 times or so, if not you may be able to replace the housings anyway.

a look here you can get exploded diagrams for free :) There are 24 variations of your model!

Reply to
Tim Morley

Thanks Tim,

Brushes replaced and machine is doing test wash. To replace brushes I put machine on front, removed belt, cut cable tie on plastic shield over connectors, pulled out motor plug and earth connection. I still couldn't access both sets of brushes. With 10mm ratchet undid the two motor bolts, then realised bolts were too long to allow ratchet to be taken off bolts, so used normal spanner. With a gentle mallet tap the motor came off.

As I couldn't see how to take brushes out I made mistake of undoing four motor bolts and dismantling motor. I re-assembled motor and then fitted new brushes and refitted motor. Could replace one brush with motor on machine but the second one would be done by feel only, and would be beyond me.

Like most jobs once you've done it its easy to know what to do.

Reply to
ian

Quite. Tried for ages to change brushes in situ on my Bosch, then decided the motor would come out with the front off. It wouldn't. Once back off and motor out, changing brushes on bench easy!

Reply to
Bob Mannix