boiler in bathroom

Hey up,

I had an oil combi-boiler installed in my cellar a few months ago. The cellar is quite a nice size, about twice the size of the bathroom that is next to the cellar. The plan is to turn this cellar into a bathroom latter this year, it should fit a sink, toilet, bath and separate shower quiet nicely. Is there any problem with having the boiler in what would be the bathroom? I'm thinking along the lines of electrical regs as the boiler obviously has power and a feed from a roomstat.

Cheers

Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Hoskin

Recent changes in the Regs make this OK, with a few restrictions. Keep the boiler and any controls far enough away from the bath/shower: 2ft minimum from nearest edge of bath/shower-cube keeps it in Zone 3, where fixed appliances are Allowed. Make sure it's connected to the mains via a fused-connection-unit or similar: a "standard" 13A socket is an absolute no-no. Other than that, you should be OK...

Stefek

Reply to
stefek.zaba

If it were a gas boiler it wouldn't be allowed in a bathroom unless it were a room-sealed type which takes its air for combustion from outside and discharges its burnt gases directly outside without any openings into the room. I don't know if the regs are the same for oil but since this is about ventilation and flueing rather than the fuel I would imagine it would be. So if you've got a flue pipe going up and out of your boiler: no. If your boiler has a sort of concentric pipe flue going outside: probably yes.

-- John Stumbles

-+ The most dangerous component in a car is the nut that holds the steering wheel

Reply to
John Stumbles

We had a new condensing boiler put in an airing cupboard in a new en-suite bathroom last winter. With due reference to the boiler manual for clearances required etc I built a demountable internal cupboard round the boiler and the airing cupboard is excellent for airing and storing sheets and towels etc. One snag is that we will have to empty the cupboard for the annual service.

Reply to
Brian S Gray

Thought all they do these days is a quick visual inspection and 'sniff' for leaks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman