Bog Standard?

Looking through a SF catalogue I noticed;

"Flapper Toilet Cistern Valve & Handle"

"Cistern Valve with handle. Modern alternative to the siphon but still retaining the traditional lever operation. Internal overflow. Fits most cisterns. WRAS approved".

's the benefit of these over a standard siphon?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I can think of a few:

Requires less force to flush, you can have an internal overflow, simpler mechanism that does not tend to suffer from loss of performance as the paddle wears.

There is little danger of a syphon leaking into the pan incessantly.

Reply to
John Rumm

You can do this with them

:-)

Reply to
YAPH

Looks impressive, and the website looks good.

Any idea how the epoxy is standing up to constant immersion?

Reply to
The Wanderer

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

What's the benefit of these over a standard siphon?

Can replace moving/sealing parts without dismantling close-coupled toilet. A lot better than the dreadful American versions of the same thing, though.

Reply to
Appin

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember YAPH saying something like:

Excellent idea. I have one of those available to me to replace one that was nicked from my building before I took possession.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

They'll keep you in work if you only offer 12 month warranty. They leak after not much more than a year.

Reply to
<me9

I haven't been back to the customer since so I don't know either way of any problems, but having used Araldite in various applications over the years I've not found it to be bothered by cold water.

Reply to
John Stumbles

TBH I'm not enamoured of either flap or drop valves. At least the flap valves are simple - drop valves seem a nightmare of complexity which is asking for trouble. Polythene-diaphragm syphons are clunky but at least they're inherently leak free. However what's wrong with the ancient bell syphon? I've been mentally doodling designs for an updated version using plastic components, with power assistance derived from the incoming water supply. Not quite ready for dragons' den yet though :-(

Reply to
YAPH