blue neon light

Page 2 of 2

Do you mean the luxeon ones? If so just how bright are they? Are they actually GBP12 per LED?!
A.
Adrian Sims wrote:

I've not experienced the luxeon ones, but have some of Maplin's Nichia ones (NR85G), 3 each and 3Cd output, which is very bright.
About 14 years ago when high brightness types were just coming out I remember buying an 8Cd red led from Tandy for 15. And that was when 15 could buy a house!
--
Grunff

Not long ago I saw a panel of HP power LEDs, and was very surprised at the light being emitted. It really felt that you could warm your hands if you got up close!
PoP
snipped-for-privacy@a.com (Adrian Sims) wrote in

I got a red and a white LED keyring thing from the local quick and dirty for 99p each. BLOODY bright
mike r
Adrian Sims wrote:

Luxeon Lumileds are astonishingly bright - to the extent that when working on optics based with them I have to wear gas welding goggles to stop hurting my eyes. They knock any other LED into a cocked hat for intensity
And they are expensive.
Steve
On 21 Nov 2003 07:09:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@valoris.com (Daniel) wrote:

Depending on how much light you wan't would one of the cold cathode tubes the twiterati are using to illuminate the inside of their computers be adequate?
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 07:09:50 -0800, Daniel wrote:

You can get blue neon lights, running on 12volts for the inside of computers. i KNOW !!, its the latest craze amongst the overclockers. You can also get them to fit on cars. So a local computer fair or somewhere that does car parts.
Dave

(sp?)
I know I'm going to burn in hell for saying this, but, PC-World stock them with all the connectors etc.

PC World, OH DEAR, no I don't expect they would have a clue. Try
www.overclockers.co.uk ( I think)
Dave

You can also try www.coolcasemods.com
And very soon Micro Mart will be doing an article on this very subject. You can Micro Mart from W H Smith.
Dave

Maplins do 'em too. Try pages 297 to 299 in the paper catalogue, or order codes such as A93AH, A89AK, A90AK online. A64AL is quite groovy. Of course, these are all designed to run from a PC powersupply, probably 12V or maybe 5V.
Also available in the hobbies section p612 N50AN includes a 12V supply. Ten quid each for a 30cm tube... almost worth dusting off the blow-torch and having a go at bending the tube yourself :-)
Hwyl!
M.
Don't fight technology, live with it: http://www.livtech.co.uk /
Hi Daniel,
As other have pointed out, there is a trend of late (like to point out both my PC's are very boring beige boxes before I continue!) for making the inside of your PC look like the northern lights, which has lead to pretty cheap components.
I would suggest you look at getting some Electro Luminescent (EL) cable, that you can then shape like a cat and or any other domestic animal to your hearts content. I think it can also be cut to required length.
You will need to get a 12v mains adapter (as the lights are designed for a PC with 12v on tap), but I imagine the draw is pretty small and your average maplin 12v plug brick job would do the trick. Possible source:
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/product.php?subcat
I can recommend the supplier in general, never bought any EL string from them though, you will need a PSU and coloured string of your choice. I am also told that www.ebuyer.com have very good prices on these things by a friend that knows about such things, he says they also go self adhesive stuff (!) but I have not looked at the site so I can't say for sure.
Question is, what will the cat think about all this?!
Paul.

Firstly, thank you for all the ideas. And the general lack of sarcasm which was very surprising!

I looked at this - my worry is that it would not give out enough light. In order for it shine through the glass block wall, you need a fair amount of light.
On reflection, I feel the cat idea was a pretty useless one (!) and am now tempted by the ultra-bright led lights recomended (luxeon ones).
In simple terms how would I go about hooking these up to mains electricity? I will be powering them off mains, not the lighting circuit.
Do I need a professional?
Daniel

LEDs work off DC, so need a DC supply usually provided by a transformer and rectifier. They are current rather than voltage sensitive, so a suitable series resistor is needed according to the voltage driving them. For example an LED driven at 10 mA which is common for 'indicator' types would need a 1000 ohm resistor when run off 12 volts. Brighter LEDs will need more current and therefore a smaller value resistor at the same voltage. Obviously, if you're using a lot of these, the higher the voltage the smaller and cheaper the power supply as the current is less, so 50 volts might be the best - but 50 volt wall warts etc aren't common.
Maplin do an 0.8A 12 volt unregulated wall wart for 9.99. This would drive about 30 reasonably bright LEDs at around 25mA each. Would 30 be enough?
It would, of course, be pretty easy to make a low voltage PS of near any current using bits from Maplin or similar. It all really depends on how much work you want to do, and your competence at DIY electronics.
It is possible to drive LEDs directly off the mains, but making such an arrangement safe for this application would, I'd say, be too complicated.
Ebay can be a good source of cheap LEDs. Look under Electronic Components.
--
*Acupuncture is a jab well done.*

Umm. The above is partly true for standard LEDs, except that the forward voltage drop of the LED is fixed, so using a higher voltage supply does not help, unless you start series connecting the LEDs. Also for blue leds the forward voltage drop is quite high (about 4 volts) which you need to remember when working out the resistor value.
The Luxeon ones previously mentioned are very picky about supply. You need a current limited supply feeding 300mA to each LED. You also need to provide cooling for the LED devices or the lifespan is greatly reduced. I think you would need to get an expert involved if you wanted to do it, it's not rocket science, but you do need a bit of electronic design knowledge.
--
Tim Mitchell

A sign maker should be able to make a neon in any shape, but they require a high voltage power pack so might not be suitable.
How about a rope light in the correct colour glued to the panel - these can be bent to a certain degree. Maplins or disco equipment shops sell them.
You could make something up out of LEDs, but these also need a transformer, and of course blue LEDs are about the most expensive variety.
--
*Husband and cat lost -- reward for cat

And they are common as muck these days. Blue LEDs were cool, until folk started putting them on cars!
The rope stuff linked by Paul is probably your best bet. I've not seen it on Fiestas or Civics yet, so it's therefore still cool.
F./