Bit stuck in leccy screwdriver

G'day.

I have a nice new electric screwdriver. Fast and with lots of torque. Only used it for one DIY job - putting up plasterboard and Kingspan on a new ceiling.

I had to push as hard as I could to get the screws in without the bit rotating in the screw-heads, and even then it sometimes did. So I wore out one plasterboard bit and started a second. About 10:30 last night, the second bit got a bit smoothed-off, but it was solidly stuck in the bit-holder and I could not pull it out even with pliers.

I think this is a refund job, but I cannot honestly say whether the fault is with the drill, or whether I have been using crappy bits (came free with the boxes of drywall screws). I mean, did the drill deform, or did the bit deform, or both, or something else?

I would be grateful for any advice on this, so I can get a refund succesfully without lying about it.

Thanks!

P.S. this was after about 50 75mm drywall screws and maybe 100 95mm drywall screws.

Reply to
David Pearson

Whack it from side to side with the edge of a real screwdriver, or something. Maybe a bit of swarf from the bit or screws is jamming.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:15:47 +0000 (UTC), "David Pearson" scrawled:

Could well be both, I usually just sling all those free bits you get with bulk screws and with drills as they're absolutely useless, as you've found out.

Without knowing what the drill was I have no idea whether that could be at fault or not, but it's quite possible.

Reply to
Lurch

You shouldnt need to lean on it to prvent the bit slipping. If you do, either the bits the wrong type (common) or its a seriously junk bit.

I spose I should say this, though you probably knew this long ago. Just in case. Some chucks are designed to hold the bit in firm, you slide the collar back to release it.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I naively assumed that the freebies would the right size and the right quality. Never having bought drywall screws before, I was quite excited on finding these bits in the boxes. But now I know.

-David P (the OP)

Reply to
David Pearson

OK, thanks for that. I have been mis-screwing for years then. Will next try some bits that fit!

Like a Yankee push-ratchet screwdriver? I considered using one of those instead of an electric screwdriver, thinking that at least the batteries would not run out (unless I got tired). But I don't think there is the range of bits available for Yankees that there is for leccy drivers - or am I wrong? If so, is a Yankee a sensible option for a big screwing job like a ceiling?

Cheers, DP (OP)

Reply to
David Pearson

More likely the design is rubbish. I don't understand why the square bit screw is not the standard style; positive action, no slip, no chance of mistaking the correct bit, less chance of getting a junk bit.

Reply to
John Cartmell

I've just put 200 screws in some decking with one, after my cordless drill died. You can still get bits, I now have brand new no1, 2, and 3 posidriv bits for it to add the the flat ones I've had for years. A bit hard to find though.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

There are plans/instructions around for making a yankee-1/4" hex adaptor, made from a 1/4" Allen key and a 1/4" Hex magnetic bit holder. I've made 2, and they both worked fine. A google groups search may be best - it may even have been posted to this group.

Mine yankee driver was stolen recently, and I don't much feel like paying £40 for a new one - maybe I'll keep an eye out on ebay.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hodges

I wrote

Now that I'm buying a replacement on ebay I've found the instructions for making the adaptor:

(via google as I don't retain messages once I've read them)

Reply to
chrisjhodges

Is it a drill/ driver with a keyless chuck?

If so, some have a sliding ring that needs to be pulled back before you can undo.

Reply to
xscope