bit stuck in chuck any ideas?

I seem to have got a countersinking bit stuck inside a keyless chuck on my bosch drill. It just squeezed inside and now i cant get it out. any ideas or is it time for a new chuck? thanks in advance and yes i will use a proper holder for it next time!

Reply to
Steve Exley

Carefully heat the chuck with a blowlamp in the hope that it will expand more quickly than the bit so the latter will come out? Don't know what this might do to the properties of the metal the chuck is made of though.

Reply to
rrh

Perhaps with a 'slight' strain on it by holding the outer part of chuck in the bench vise, twist and try a slight tap with a light hammer. Suspect jaws of chuck may have snugged up against bottom edge of the countersink head and jammed? Alternatively can you hold the countersink it self in the bench vise and try tapping the outer ring of the chuck with a drift punch? Or even turn with a pipe wrench, after all you gotta. get it out somehow otherwise drill is no good for anything else?

Reply to
Terry

Get a pair of mole grips tightly on the outer side (furthest half away from the drill body) and give it a slap with a hammer. Sounds like you have "seized" it up.

If that don't work and free it up after 20 or so slaps, consign it to use as your Countersinking drill.

Then go buy another one, remembering not to tighten the bits much ;)

hTh

-- Jet

Reply to
Jet

I guess that would get all the plastic stuff out of the way on a "KEYLESS" chuck. Good old "rrh"

Reply to
Jimbo

In message , rrh writes

Keyless chucks tend to have a plastic coating

Reply to
raden

Or how about gripping the bit in the vice and turning the drill on?

Reply to
Ric

Out of interest, how much would it cost to replace a keyless chuck with a proper chuck, half inch size. It is impossible to use in hammermode with any drill less than about 7mm dia because you can't do the chuck up tight enough. The hammer action drives the drill into the chuck until only an inch or so protrudes. I find these chucks absolutely bloody useless. Alternatively I buy a set of long series masonary drills that are fitted to the bottom of the chuck anyway.

Reply to
Kevin

replacement chucks are only a fiver or so, so if it comes to it you could always saw/angle grind the old one off and replace. They screw onto a standard thread. But hopefully you should be able to get it off somehow. Penetrating oil might help, maybe.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I have had a Black and Decker keyless chuck drill for 10 years and it is great but admittedly, I have never tried hammer action with bits less than 7mm diam. For 7-10mm the hammer action is fine. They do slip if the bit jams in the wall. For less than 7mm, is just use normal action unless I am drilling into the wifes Quiche.

Reply to
Des Higgins

Remind me to know what I'm talking about next time...there's a first time for everything!

Reply to
rrh

In message , rrh writes

Only a yellow card this time then ..

Reply to
raden

They do screw in - but many also have a counter threaded screw that holds them in place as well (drills with a reverse action would have a problem without it!). Trickey thing is you get at this screw down the mouth of the chuck.

Reply to
John Rumm

Time to try a decent keyless chuck I would suggest. Something like a Rhom with ratchet action - you can get those as tight or tigher than a conventional keyed chuck.

Reply to
John Rumm

i dont think any of that would stop a grinder, if thats whats needed. Not sure how long itd take though, lot of metal there.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

To expand on that good advice: if you do decide to go this way, it's vital to avoid damaging that screw head - even though it does mean grinding through the whole diameter of the chuck body.

The screw head is countersunk into the rear wall of the chuck; to help judge how deep that is, probe down between the jaws with a bit of thin wire. Then start cutting some way further towards the nose of the chuck. When you break through to the inside, check again that you're going to miss the rear wall and the screw head.

When you've cut far enough, the drill and pieces of jaws will probably fall out, so now you can simply remove the screw (clockwise - it may need a sharp jerk to free it). Then clamp a Mole wrench onto what's left of the chuck, give it a tap in the opposite direction. The whole thing will come free, and you've got your drill back.

If you don't already have an angle grinder, this is why you always needed one ;-)

Reply to
Ian White

My extremely cheapo homebase own brand cordless drill has a keyless chuck, which caught me out when I first bought it.

The chuck has a sleeve, which moves forward and backward, and locks - i.e. you can't undo the chuck with the sleeve in the locked position.

Could it be something as simple as this? (although I doubt that Bosch use the same chuck as my made in Taiwan special..)

Reply to
Chris Howard

In message , Chris Howard writes

You mean an SDS chuck then ...

Reply to
raden

Not necessarily - plenty of keyless chucks can lock their adjusting collar by sliding it. I use a fifteen-year-old Roehm that does this and is still going strong

Reply to
Andy Dingley

no it's not an SDS.

Reply to