Binary numbering and how to teach a moron

Page 5 of 5

LOL ! True

The only thing that is really worrying me now, is the fact that he still had the drawing on the back of his hand. I drew it on with ink and laid it out in columns with the decimal number and the switch sequence to tell him which switches should have been set to on. Then he tells me that " I " got it wrong and that when switch 3 (4dec) and 2 (2dec) are on, the number of the head would only be 5 instead of 6 as I had written it on his hand, so he changed it round to suit. :-))
Aaaaarrrrrggghhhh !!!!!
What am I gonna' do with this guy ? :-))
"BigWallop" wrote | "Owain" wrote | > He's confusing switch number with arithmetic value. | > Perhaps one of the Clever People who generated the crib-sheets could | > generate a look-up as | > Detec. Switches | > Number On | > 1 1 | > 2 2 | > 3 1,2 | > 4 3
| The only thing that is really worrying me now, is the fact that he still had | the drawing on the back of his hand. I drew it on with ink and laid it out | in columns with the decimal number and the switch sequence to tell him which | switches should have been set to on. Then he tells me that " I " got it | wrong and that when switch 3 (4dec) and 2 (2dec) are on, the number of the | head would only be 5 instead of 6 as I had written it on his hand, so he | changed it round to suit. :-))
Well, he's trying. (Oh, you agree!)
Tell him to do what he's told and stop thinking about it. (And tell us what happens then...)
Owain

That's it !!! You've hit the nail on the head. Just tell him not to do the thinking and just do what he's told. Why couldn't I think of that ? :-)) It might just work.
"BigWallop" wrote

Promote him? He seems classic management material
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:06:08 +0100, "Peter Taylor"

Only if he's got 2 clumps of pointy hair :)
/dilbert

ROFL !!!
Good idea. And he does have spikey hair. Would that count ?
And, is Dilbert still on the go ? I remember that from the seventies when IT departments and open plan offices were first introduced. :-))
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Is Dilbert still on the go????
Of course. One of the first websites I visit each morning to summon up the energy to face managers :)
Darren

See http://www.dilbert.com :-)

You have brain-fade. "Seven Years of Highly Defective People" (an excellent introduction to Dilbert with handwritten notes by Scott Adams) was published in 1990, and if you dig around the web-site you'll find a history showing early rejection letters dated 1988.
I used to work in cubicles (or pods). I think light dawned when it was suggested that I relocate to the exact centre of a floor and simultaneously move the computer equipment to a corner office. We swapped, and I spent many a long hour gazing out at the traffic coming off the M8.
--
John
Mail john rather than nospam...

Forget it, it's a wind up for sure.
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

If only it was Gnube. If only it was.
Hi BigWallop In you wrote:

Rename the switches to A, B, C, D etc... instead of 1, 2, 3, 4. then he can't add A+C to get 5! A=1, B=2, C=4 etc...
--
Fishter
unhook to mail me | http://www.fishter.org.uk /

www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Many, Many Thank you's to everyone. I used most of your suggestions, and very creative some of them were (Thanks Witchy), on getting the Binary numbering system through to a moron. :-))
I sat with him for two and a bit hours today, just him and I, and we went over it to see where the problem was. He was thinking of the switches on the detector heads as decimal right enough, as this is the way they are marked by the makers. So I started him on the very basics of the system again to see how he would react. He then told me that he'd never even heard of the Binary way of counting, and that he'd always thought we were winding him up on the settings of these detectors.
Once I'd shown him the basics and he'd done a few addition and subtraction sums using it, it seemed to click into place no problem at all. Yipee !!! Say's I, as you can imagine. I think, with your help, I've just gained another brilliant security engineer for the team.
Brilliant people. Many, Many Thanks Again.