bi-fold doors experiences please?

I'm thinking of fitting bi-fold doors to an extension as raved about on TV (100K house etc)

But how tough are they, do they last? Are they easy to fix if the hinges get bent? Child-proof?

And how to choose between the many different manufacturers?

[George]
Reply to
DICEGEORGE

the-trade-episode-5

IMHO the most important thing is to get them installed by a reputable local company - who will come out and adjust them if there are any post- fit problems.

Unless, of course, you are a very expert fitter and adjuster of large scale glazing products.

We were advised to go for aluminium because it is less likely to go out of adjustment than plastic. So far we are very pleased - had a couple of post-install visits, the last one this very hot summer when the access door was catching very slightly when the windows were very hot.

The initial fit took a while, as they are complex to set up perfectly, but from then on they have been hassle free.

We paid extra for glazing units with blinds between the glass panes - this avoids any issues of making space for blinds or curtains at either side of the windows or of having something hanging across the opening. So far, it has worked very well.

With regards to opening outwards or inwards - if they are set to open inwards you have to be very sure that they are fully sheltered from the weather or that you will never want to open them after it has rained. You probably also have to like the spiders which will drop out onto the carpet ;-)

Also, think carefully about where your access door is best sited. We have five panes in the door with the access door fitted at one end and incorporated into the five panes. This means the whole shooting match folds up together to the other side of the opening. This works well with our layout but you may prefer to have the doors split so they fold to both sides.

You have option on the cill as well - a truly flat cill will probably have brushes as a weather seal but we were advised that these were not as effective as the rubber seals where there is a step down outside. We went for the better seal, but had our wooden deck tapered underneath so it fitted over the lip outside to give us a nearly level access.

should give you some idea of our installation.

Hinges bent? If they bend you chose the wrong supplier - can't really see how they could get bent.

Child proof? In what way? They will have to be fitted with safety glass by regulation. The door is just like any other double glazed access door with regard to handles and locks. Umm...can they be locked in open or partially open position to prevent a robust child moving them? Ours can't but then neither can our other doors. If you have a specific concern, then please be more specific :-)

Hope this helps

Dave R

Reply to
David