Best way to shorten internal door?

I never did master hand tools. Watching a guy fitting rebated French doors convinced me I just didn't have what it took.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

That's one reason for rebating the hinges - the weight is taken at the bottom of the rebate rather than by the screws, which simply hold the door upright. The rebate also stops the door dropping over time. A well-fitted old door often has tiny screws. I don't think they could make the long thin screws you can get now - they all had to be tapered, so a long thin screw was difficult to make. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Only an inch or so of wood there anyway I would have thought

Reply to
Stuart Noble