Best security for aluminium front door please

I can confirm that my ally doors have a steel core. Probably quite thin, I would guess

A quick google found these types :-

These are recommended by the police. NOT Uk police as they suggest chains :-

The problem with chains is the fact that the door-frame is only 65 mm wide and the top 3 in these images are 85 mm wide.

The two non-chain items in top line are known in the States as Door Security Guards. Problem is - I've only seen them fitted on wooden doors where the door and frame are flush. My ally door is 17 mm proud of the ally frame.

Anyone got any suggestions please for gadgets that allow the door to be opened safely for an inch or two please?

I'm aware the the weakest link will be fixing said gadget. Any thoughts on Jack Nuts and Anchor for ally? Fixing nuts on outside of door is a no-no.

If these are ok, I'll try and find something a bit thinner than 10 mm.

Reply to
Phelim O'Bugle

SecureRing looks like a chain to me. (It's just a question of how the end of the chain is fastened.) If they *aren't* approved by UK police, they are a bunch of cowboys - they have the "Secured By Design" logo on the webpage.

Don't know how to solve your actual problem - sorry

Reply to
Martin Bonner

The items you link to are chains.

Their special feature seems to be that they are slipped over the door handle instead of having a fitting screwed to the door which makes installation a bit easier.

Their marketing about "Drilling into a upvc or composite door will immediately have a negative impact on the manufacturer?s warranty." conveniently ignores that you have to drill into the door frame anyway.

Fixings with a domed head (such as coach bolts) where there is no flat surface to grip are fine for outside. Just have the nuts on the inside.

Not sure why you are looking at fixings designed for a plastic door with no metal core, though. If there is a metal core to your metal door frame (that is, steel inside aluminium) then I would have thought that it was fine to screw into. Having said that the fittings look just like cavity wall fixings done large.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I dont know what it is called but if you think of a wedge on the floor that can be depressed and locked to stay down or unlocked for security. I saw this a couple of years back. One downside is it has to be fitted in to the floor and maybe more than a couple of inches back from the door in case it goes to the unlocked position when one is away. Having said that what about just using a wooden wedge and kick it out of the way when not required :-)

Reply to
ss

Yep thanks, I now realise those jack nuts are for cavity walls and they also need a 9.5 mm pilot whole.

May come in handy for other projects.

Reply to
Phelim O'Bugle

Thanks, that's what I'll do. I'll fix cord to the wedge and hang it in the porch on one of the coat hooks, when not in use.

Reply to
Phelim O'Bugle