Best Screw of 2002

Page 2 of 3

Nice try - almost but not quite.
These screws have straight slots not a bloated pentagram. They're used by Sunvic to hold the case on actuator heads. I used to repair them and ended up making my own screwdriver
--
geoff

Like this one? http://www.wihatools.com/716_IPR_serie.htm
Sparks...

Nope
I'll have to photograph the screwhead I think
--
geoff

So, I have to buy new tools because "Every one of those sets of bits, drills etc for power drivers has a set of torx bits in it"?
Huge wrote:

No, I was just making the point that anyone who's bought any tools with bit sets in the last few years is likely to have come across them.
All you'll need to buy is a bit set at 2.99, which will include all the torx bits you need to take my house apart.
--
Grunff

On 4 Jan 2004 11:57:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

No, you have to buy a set of bits.
--
Niall

If it is Torx, then even my old Rover SD1 uses them. You can buy them in sets even in Halfords.
--
*Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Indeed. They were designed for automatic insertion on car production lines. Why anyone would want to use them for manual woodwork is beyond me.

Absolutely. Brass screws with the slots all in line is the *only* way.
--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses.

Hello Dave

Pfft. Countersink, generic pozi's. Wood filler then cover in magnolia. Jobsa.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK

Tosh. The alternative if brass screws aren't suitable is to cover the nasty screws with wood plugs carefully cut from as close to the original grain as possible.
--
*When blondes have more fun, do they know it?

Just curious really, but why don't any posts from 'Huge' ever appear on Google's service anymore? For various reasons I read this ng almost exclusively at http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=uk.d-i-y and the only time I ever see 'Huge' posts are when they are quoted by others, as above. Not that I'm *unduly* concerned about missing Huge's posts (no offence intended!), but I wonder what else I might be missing, and why? (I'm certainly getting all that cross-posted crap unfortunately!)
David
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Lobster) writes:

"Any more"?
Anyhow, I use "X-no-archive: Yes" headers, which means Google does not archive my posts.
I do not regard Usenet as a medium of record.
Hello Grunff

Mine was a star. For every bit of wood fixed in this house (badly built fitted cupboards, pine panelling hiding damp and rotten plasterwork), was fixed with crosshead AND straight screws AND nails AND glue.
Luckily he didn't have torx screws also, or I'd probably have had to have hunted him down.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
snipped-for-privacy@digdilem.org (Simon Avery) writes:

Ah, the definitive Bodger Sign. Mixed screws.

I'll help.

My house was much like this. Tons of silicone sealer stuck everywhere as well.
Saying that, we got a friends husband to fit a pair of french doors for us over the Christmas break (I know but I don't get on with wood very well ;-)) French doors came from wickes - when I picked them up I got a couple of packs of Wickes hinges as well. Identical packets, Identical hinges. One had Pozi brass screws, one had slotted...

Be to. I have a couple of spare tubes of nonails waiting to wreak revenge.
Darren

If they were solid brass rather than brass effect, I'd say there'd be a very real risk of shearing pozidriv ones. Besides, a brass screw is obviously designed to be seen in this context, so should only be slotted. I won't use pozidriv where they're likely to be seen.
--
*I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect*

Solid brass.
I broke 2 off out of the first 4 (one of those rare times when my Dremel is invaluable) before I gave up and went down the shed to find some slotted brass screws.
As for the look of the screws - I can't say I am particulary bothered by what head is on them as long as they match!
Darren

I agree. Didn't know you could get them there...got my last lot from B&Q!
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Axminster do a bulk pack of Spax in a steel case plus three large boxes of wall plugs as a pretty good deal.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl