Best Screw of 2002

Page 1 of 3
Hi, excuse the subject line, i bought the QUICKSILVER PRODRIVE SELECTION PACK SCREWS from screwfix and have got to be honest have thrown more out than i have used, it seems that the heads are to soft so just round off, As anyone bought decent screws from screwfix if so which ones.
thanks
Steve
SJ wrote:

13887
--
Ben Blaney
Must try harder
Ben Blaney wrote:

Well, there was this very enthusiastic girl called Catherine... but that was 2003, can't remember 2002.
The Turbogold trade pack, they self-start very well but can split thin wood if you are being lazy. The 70mm ones go in all the way before the torque limiter kicks in unlike some other types which start to tighten up half way in. You do tend to end up with lightly shredded fingertips.
--
Toby.

i've used them a lot and there very good, how ever I have had a couple of heads snap off when undoing them
Andrew
Toby wrote:

--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with .
SJ wrote:

They used to do the Spax Torx drive screws. Twin thread, with serrations on the last few threads. Superb screws. They stopped doing them, so I now buy them from Axminster.
Once you try them, you will never use other screws.
--
Grunff

Boy, is the next owner of your house going to curse you!
Huge wrote:

Why do you say that?
(BTW - no amount of cursing he/she does could ever match my cursing of the previous owners...)
--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

How many folks have even seen Torq heads, let alone possess a set of drivers ?
Steve
Steve wrote:

Pretty much anyone who's ever worked on a car made in the last 10 years.
And even if they haven't, it's not exactly difficult to get hold of them. If somone isn't resourceful enough to get hold of them, then should they really be using a screwdriver?
--
Grunff

Aren't those Torx - a sort of fluted hex? Dunno the wood screws as I've not seen them.
--
*If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before

Dave Plowman wrote:

Small screws/bolts tend to be Torx, which is like an Allen but rather than the driver having a hexagonal x-section it has a 6 pointed star x-section.
Bigger bolts are often star drive (I think also called Torx, because the company makes them), which is like a hex head, but instead of the head having a hexagonal x-section it has a 6 pointed star x-section.
--
Grunff

2002 Mine was the grateful lady at No22 .
2003 ditto.
2004 Eagerly looking forward to the rest of the year.
ATB
Kris

Pretty much all old PC's use them internally - especially servers. You get some newbie tech morons coming across them from time to time and thinking they're either a hex head or messed up posidrive (htf you spell that!)!
al wrote:

Alright, I should rephrase it:
>>>How many folks have even seen Torq heads, let alone possess a set of >>>drivers ?
to >>>How many folks, who are not denizens of UK.D-I-Y, or usually "get >>>someone in" to do jobs have even seen Torq heads, let alone possess a >>>set ofdrivers ?
Better ?
;-)
Steve

Lovely ... personally, I've never seen one in a DIY situation!! ;o)

No-one owns Torx screwdrivers. Except you.
Huge wrote:

Really? Maybe I'm out of touch - but most bit sets, even those containing 3 pozi, 3 flat and 3 philips seem to have a couple of torx bits at least.
Either way, there's no way I'm going to give up a far superior screw for the sake of the next owner ;-)
--
Grunff

On 3 Jan 2004 21:54:42 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Every one of those sets of bits, drills etc for power drivers has a set of torx bits in it.
I also have a set of security bits from Maplin which covers just about every other variation - useful for dismantling brown goods.
--
Niall

When you find one which has 5 slots radiating out from a central nipple, let me know
--
geoff

Security TORX?? http://www.wihatools.com/indexes/indxSecuritytorx.htm
.andy