Bedroom size/partitioning

I'm thinking about partitioning the top floor of my home, which will result in a 2.1m x 2.1m room, a 4m x 3m room, and a 1.5m x 2.5m landing space I could use as an office/computer area.

Does anyone know the definition of 'bedroom? I sort of assumed it'll be the 4.6m2 Housing Act definition (IIRC) of a child's room? The 2.1m2 room is less than this, but it would accommodate a single bed and a chest of drawers. I suppose this is significant in light of the HIP/4 bedroom 'ruling' as well.

Also, is there a technical/legal reason for *not* doing this? I looked at dozens of houses in Sheffield, and most have kept the large original attic rooms. I would have thought that for marketing reasons if no other I'd have seen more partitioned attic rooms.

TIA

Rob

Reply to
Rob

I've seen a lot of tiny rooms which pass as bedrooms, it seems that if a bed fits into it, they pass it as a bedroom.

I would ask an Estate Agent your question since they sell houses with small bedrooms . They get training in legal aspects. Estate Agency is now being made a lot more professional, and all such agents have to register by year end. There are a lot of exams for fully qualified estate agents.

Trevor sayworth.co.uk - Consumer Advice

Reply to
Logician

You may run into fire emergency exit route issues..each bedroom needs a certain size window IIRC.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think it needs a wardrobe (or built in cupboard for similar purpose) as well, as far as the planners would be concerned for new build (including loft conversions).

If this is partitioning existing habitable space then AFAIK building regs do not mandate min. room sizes.

It's not usually very desirable (and I think the planners do not like) to have bedrooms that don't have a WC on the same floor - apart from the inconvenience sleepy people fumbling down stairs in the dark in a hurry to get to the bog can result in accidents. Adding 2 bedrooms you are probably going to need another bathroom anyway.

There is also the point that a house can have too many bedrooms in relation to its living rooms, size of dining room etc.

You might be better off having a really nice master bedroom suite with bathroom and dressing room.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes, I had a feeling that may be an issue. Each room would have a 1m2 window, and this seems to imply that the partition wall needs to be specified:

suspect this is going to need planning permission and an architect - a long way from the 500 quid I had in mind ;-)

Reply to
Rob