Battery size converter - C to D available?

Hi All you know those battery size converters you can get from Maplin etc. - a plastic sleeve the size of (say) a D cell, into which you put an AA battery, thereby converting it into a D cell of smaller capacity? Like this:

the ones I've seen use AA cells. Well, I have some C size rechargables which I want to use in a D cell Torch. Has anyone seen similar converters which accept C cells?

Thanks J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

Not heard of.

Those in the link look like AAA -> AA, C, D.

These are AA-> D:

note that AA are the same length as C and looking at the examples of AA->D that I have here, it seems like a (rather difficult) machining job might adapt them. If the radial spacing fins were removed right back to the enclosing cylinder, 1-mm of some sort of wrapping would hold the C cell in place.

I think.

Best regards,

Jon C.

Reply to
Jonathan Campbell

Maplin etc. - a

You could probably make convertors from cardboard glued well. Add wire connectors, voila.

What I want is a laptop battery to cordless tool battery convertor. Way more capacity.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

but not at the sort of current you would be pulling laptop batteries are not designed for that sort of abuse

Reply to
Kevin
[...]

They're a mixture: AAA->AA, and AA->C, AA->D. I can't find anything other than these.

[...]

Yeah, this is pretty much my current plan. AA and C are *slightly* different lengths but not enough to make a difference, I think.

I might split the AA-D adapters in half, making the machining out easier. A bit of a faff though.

Thanks J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

om Maplin etc. - a

Yes. But in this case I'm willing to abuse them and see if they handle it. Its that or they wont be used.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yes, came across a couple of mine today. But I don't know where you get them.

I've made some in the past using a 35mm film capsule with a short fat nut & bolt in the end to make the shorter C size reach the length of the longer D's contacts.

Reply to
John Stumbles

To the OP. I've just had a look and the 35-mm film holder solution looks like a lot easier solution than machining or hacking the AA->D converter. Not that 35-mm film boxes will be easy to find unless you are like me and never throw anything out.

Jon C.

Reply to
Jonathan Campbell

Go to Boots and ask. Last time I did so they had a drawerful and gave me as many as I wanted. Trade is probably less these days, but they probably still get them.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It doesn't solve your problem, but I quite like this AA to D size converter that actually uses *two* AA batteries, not just one:

Bruce

they wont fast charge and are liable to catch fire if you abuse them,+ you need a special charger, if you over discharge them you kill them and if you over charge them you can start a fire.

Reply to
Kevin

They are / were available. I bought some about 10 years ago, AA to D size, all using the next size down. You could even stack them from AA to D's. Wife lost them though.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

:

from Maplin etc. - a

wrong on all counts - unless you've got a convincing link that says otherwise. BTW you didnt ask what battery type they are, they're NiMH.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

rechargables

what Laptop these days has NiMh???? there are difernt type of LiPo cells that this does not apply to, but I dont think there are in laptop batteries yet

Reply to
Kevin