Overloading SDS drill, occasionally?

Hi,

Been looking at this:

(DeWalt D25313K 800/395W in/out SDS+)

's rated at 65mm core drilling which is more than I'll need most of the time.

Except, I will need to make 110m holes in brick cavity walls on exactly two occasions, maybe 3 if we include a new connection through a sewage intercept chamber wall.

Does the panel reckon I'll get away with overloading it if I go easy?

It's either very expensive to go upto the specified capacity, or I get a cheapie powerful SDS, but I'm concerned that none of the cheapies seem to suggest they have a safety clutch. I value my wrists.

Most of it's work is going to be chiseling and 28mm-ish core drilling. It's going to get a lot of use for about a year.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

110 metres seems unusually large. Can't you make them smaller?
Reply to
Bruce

Bruce coughed up some electrons that declared:

Ahem, silly typo... 110mm

Reply to
Tim S

Would a grenade not be better than a drill ?

Reply to
robgraham

I'd drill a series of small holes round the outside of the circle to reduce the load.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think a tactical nuclear weapon should do it.

Reply to
Bruce

Which grenade will put a 110 m hole in a wall?

Reply to
dennis

> It's rated at 65mm core drilling which is more than I'll need most of the > time.

Probably, I put a 110 mm core through a concrete wall using an 18V battery drill, only flattened three batteries.

Just stop and have a break occasionally if its taking a while. Take the load off the drill occasionally too and let it run at full speed to cool it down.

Reply to
dennis

> It's rated at 65mm core drilling which is more than I'll need most of the > time.

I suggest it depends how hard the bircks are. I have a core drill with a diamond cutter but on some bricks it is still an hours job.

This could be a case for hiring the tools needed and still DIYing the work.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

What a stunningly good idea. Well done that man.

I reckon the DeWalt would cope anyway, looks like a beastie.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

dennis@home coughed up some electrons that declared:

>>> It's rated at 65mm core drilling which is more than I'll need most of the >> time.

Cheers to everyone who replied. Reckon that's about the level of machine to go for.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I had to make a similar sized hole through brick for my boiler flue and couldn't be bothered with a hole cutter - I simply removed the required number of bricks then cut them and replaced. Of course this is an old house with fairly soft mortar.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depends on when the clutch lets go, but chances are you will be ok if you take care to drill very straight and only apply light pressure.

I have done a number of 107mm cores with my 780W Makita 2450 which again has a max theoretical core size of something like 60 - 70mm.

Reply to
John Rumm

Have you considered just removing a couple of bricks using your SDS in chisel mode? 110mm will normally fit between courses - if that is suitable position for the application. Then carefully cut replacement ones and make good. Large holesaws are expensive and probably not worth it for the odd hole.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) coughed up some electrons that declared:

Also a good point Dave.

Bloke I work with got a set like these:

reasonably priced I thought...

Reply to
Tim S

I used #20255 from

its £12.84 + an arbor and a pilot drill, (total about £20) well worth it.

Its a bit short, so you start it off and knock the center out when it gets too deep (I used a lump hammer and chisel).

Reply to
dennis

Quite reasonably priced I thought...

They are indeed. I was thinking of considerably more for just a '110'mm one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On an aside, was down B&Q browsing the SDS section to try the weight and feel of various machines. Found one make to avoid (safety clutch concerns aside):

"Performance Power" brand - very very cheap. The display model was shedding ball bearings and springs from the knobs. If it can't stand kids fiddling it's got no chance in real life, given what's it's made to do.

OTOH, B&Q did have a multi-piece piece core set for sensible money, different set size, but comparable cost/bit to the CPC one.

OT: lots of clearance sales on gardening machinery (Tunbridge Wells branch, but probably a universal policy given they need to make way for Hallowe'en then Christmas paraphenalia). Esoteric (eg leaf blower and edger) Ryobi-type Expand-it attachments going at a decent discount. I'm waiting for the chainsaw attachment to get discounted so I can get one :)

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim S saying something like:

Hire a Hilti SDS-Max + 110mm core cutter for the day for very little money and do all three holes at the same time.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

dave.newbold