bathroom refurbishment

I am about to completely replace my bathroom bath, toilet and wash basin and re-tile the walls.Is there any reason why I should not tile the complete wall where the wash basin and cistern will fit and fix these after tiling is completed. thanks for any advice

Reply to
rocky

None whatsoever.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's actually the best way to do it - tiling around things always looks bad.

A good approach is to fit the sanitary appliances initially through spacers (e.g. piece of timber) equivalent to the tile depth and to get the mechanics right as well as the hook up. Then you can remove them, complete the tiling and refit easily.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If a solid wall probably ok. If a partition type there's a good chance flexing (leaning on the basin, etc) - might crack the tiles. With mosaics you'd probably get away with it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unlikely. studs are at 400mm centers and most basins are wide enough to get pretty close to two, and alway over at least one. And, of course, its a great opportunity to hack a gash in the plasterboard and screw a plate of MDF or ply where the basin/cistern is going, to have something solid to screw into, before you tile..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tony

Reply to
TMC

One thing to watch for though - _ just refitted my bathroom and did the tiling first - then fitted sink/toilet afterwards. I bought the "Barcelona" suite from B&Q and, aparrently by design, the toilet cistern doesn't fit flush against the wall - there is a gap behind the top of the cistern.

According to the manufacturer, you are now supposed to ask if the toilet you are buying is designed to be fitted against a wall or "free- standing". Sounds ridiculous to me, but something to watch for nonetheless. (Barcelona is B&Q's entry level priced bathroom suite - and aside from the toilet issue is great quality/value).

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah