Bathroom quote

Someone I know has a house with no CH, no hot water, and no kitchen to speak of (just an ancient sink).

They've been quoted £9000 to install a 'wetroom' style of bathroom with electric shower, and fix the water supply to the kitchen sink (as it's just a trickle). That doesn't include a CH system or new kitchen, but does include under-floor heating in the bathroom ('to stop the water freezing on the floor').

That seems a little high to me. What's a more reasonable quote for the work?

And how much ought it to cost to fit a conventional bathroom and a hot water supply? (The owner seems to have a fixation on having a 'wetroom', even though at present there is nothing; they also don't like gas although there is a supply to house.)

Reply to
BartC

about 3 years ago we had a quote, froma respected firm, to completely re-do our bathroom and add a shower. That came to £13,000. We kept our existing bathroom. Basically, always get 3 quotes for any serious job.

Reply to
charles

I needed a wetroom doing last year. I went to a few big firms and got quotes in the £10 to £12k range. In the end I got my normal plumber to take the job on. The result is excellent. The final bill was £3,800 incl VAT. The job was elec shower, new bog, new sink, new walls, new ceiling, new floor (one of those membrane things) new sub-floor, new towel rail (from CH and/or elec), new radiator, new lights, new drainpipes.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

This *was* a local plumber!

Reply to
BartC

Try another local plumber! I'd have said £4k for that was good, the £9k bid is taking the proverbial

Reply to
newshound

well if it includes gas boiler, pressurised tank, full plumbing and make good..and hot water pipes under the floor plus relaying floor etc etc.

so much depends on what you want to end up with..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My parents were quoted 12,000 for a new bathroom. It cost them 3000 for the parts (better parts than quoted for) and I fitted it.

Reply to
ARW

Let's say it should be possible for very much less. However, you could spend £9000 or more if you specify very high-end fittings and finish (which would be a stark contrast with the rest of the house).

Big variation in cost of doing the hot water, depending on what sort of spec (flow rate, pressure, and for how long before it runs out), and if it's going to form part of a central heating system later, or always be stand-alone.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

But how likely is it that the OP would mention "electric shower" if it included a gas boiler and pressurised tank that wasn't being mentioned?

Reply to
Alan Braggins