Bathroom dehumidifier/air extraction

What floor are you on? Do you have a loft above you? If so a positive input system such as eBay item

321060231371 could solve your problem.

Failing that a similar system drawing air from the communal hall might work.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Hi,

I?ve recently purchased a flat (first time buyer; DIY noob) and I?m loo king to do some renovations. The flat is on the top/3rd floor and was buil t in 1963. It?s got a flat roof.

My bathroom can get mouldy quite quickly; it doesn?t have any exterior ve ntilation except for a window which leads onto the communal corridor.

See this rough plan of my flat:

I think have a few options:

--- i) Ventilation fan onto communal corridor or via kitchen. Putting a pipe which goes via the kitchen isn?t possible due to a roof be am getting in the way (the dashed line in the diagram), and fire regs rule out putting in a fan to the corridor.

--- ii) Ventilation fan via hall/bedroom (in red on my diagram). I think the best route for my ventilation pipe would be out via my bedroom. I am intending to put fitted cupboards along the wall above my bed which would easily hide any pipe. Some questions: 1) Is extracting air over this distance viable? 2) What diameter hole/pipe would I need for this kind of extraction? 3) Would I need a special extractor fan to push the air that distance? 4) Is the pipe likely to get mouldy inside? Would It need to be removab le for cleaning? 5) Could I theoretically put the pipe in the space between the ceiling a nd the roof above? Are my walls likely to go up into that space or is ther e a gap above the walls and the roof?

--- iii) Dehumidifier. The other option is a dehumidifier. I?d quite like to put the dehumidifi er in the bathroom cupboard (it?s huge, used to have a tank in it) and ru n a flexible pipe from the cupboard door into the dehumidifier. I?d then get the dehumidifier plumbed in so that I don?t have to worry about empt ying it. Questions regarding that: 6) Would a dehumidifier remove water from the air fast enough for a bath room? 7) Can anyone suggest a dehumidifier that could be installed in the cupb oard and have a flexible pipe attached to it for the air intake? 8) Failing that, does anyone know of a small dehumidifier which I could mount on the wall above the end of my bath and have plumbed in? The dehumi difiers I?ve seen all tend to have large water tanks on the bottom which significantly adds to the bulk - and I don?t need that if I can plumb it in.

Thanks!

Reply to
Peter Brophy

That is not a rough plan:-)

I would take the red route.

Reply to
ARW

3rd floor - top floor - flat roof so no loft space.

I'm not sure about drawing air in from the communal hall, the corridor is usually rather musty due to all the other bathroom windows opening out there (there's 6 flats all with bathrooms on the corridor).

Reply to
Peter Brophy

Nice, can't wait to see the neat scale drawing ;-)

am intending to put fitted cupboards along the wall above my bed which would easily hide any pipe. Some questions:

Yes

at lest 4", probably 5"

A inline ducted fan would be ideal.

for cleaning?

You normally arrange a slight fall on it so that moisture does not accumulate.

the roof above? Are my walls likely to go up into that space or is there a gap above the walls and the roof?

Only way know for sure would be to look - it will depend on which way the joists run.

Reply to
John Rumm

ooking to do some renovations. The flat is on the top/3rd floor and was bu ilt in 1963. It?s got a flat roof.

ventilation except for a window which leads onto the communal corridor.

beam getting in the way (the dashed line in the diagram), and fire regs rul e out putting in a fan to the corridor.

m. I am intending to put fitted cupboards along the wall above my bed whic h would easily hide any pipe. Some questions:

sure

centrifugal not axial

able for cleaning?

not usually, but it can

and the roof above?

if the joists run the right way

walls and the roof?

take a hammer...

fier in the bathroom cupboard (it?s huge, used to have a tank in it) and run a flexible pipe from the cupboard door into the dehumidifier. I?d th en get the dehumidifier plumbed in so that I don?t have to worry about em ptying it. Questions regarding that:

easily

pboard and have a flexible pipe attached to it for the air intake?

yes, much cheaper to run, easier to install

d mount on the wall above the end of my bath and have plumbed in? The dehu midifiers I?ve seen all tend to have large water tanks on the bottom whic h significantly adds to the bulk - and I don?t need that if I can plumb i t in.

Aldi had mini ones a few months ago.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The extractor from our downstairs toilet goes across the whole width of a double garage, no problem at all. It's in standard 6 inch drainpipe - I guess because the builders had some.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

beam getting in the way (the dashed line in the diagram), and fire regs rul e out putting in a fan to the corridor.

I suspect you may have a run of kitchen units along the 'south' party kitchen wall, can you drop the duct to floor level and come under the kitchen units along that wall and then to the balcony. You can get circular-to-oblong duct adapters. If you don't have units there, then box it in at skirting level as a 'feature shelf'

Do not draw air from the communal hall - that should be a fire- compartment-separating wall.

A centrifugal fan will work over much greater distances than that.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

After recommendation here, I bought one of these:

Admittedly not cheap, but I was amazed by how quiet it was, I had to feel the air to be sure it was running. The airflow is far better than the (failed) cheap one it replaced. It can push-fit into the pipework, and is readily removable for cleaning.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

[...]

Check out centrifugal extractor fans - they can push air over a long run. Plenty here :

ntrifugal.html good luck!

Reply to
epicairfans

If your fans take as long to push the air along as your reply took, i don't think i'll bother.

Reply to
Gazz