Bathroom dehumidifier

Our small (about 6' x 4')bathroom suffers seriously from black mould in wintertime.I know that an extractor fan is the best solution but for various reasons this is not possible. Any useful information on the use of dehumidfiers would be gratefully appreciated.

Reply to
Graham K.

Of course you won't be running it *in* the bathroom but hopefully on a landing at a safe distance from splashes etc....

Ours (Amcor, ex screwfux a few years ago =A3150) keeps on top of our old house moisture issues (tho we do have and use a basic bathroom extractor fan too). In winter we tend to leave the dehumidifier on during the day (too noisy at night).

It's on the first floor and I make a point of leaving doors to the rest of the house open/ajar so that there's as little obstruction as poss to the drying currents of air moving abt the place.

Works well, no more mouldy bits on walls windows etc. in essence it's economically taken over from this house's multiple chimneys and (originally) open fires that would have kept damp at bay in the olden days.

Why can't you put an extractor in your bathroom? open a window?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Just beware of the cheapo "Argos range"; mine packed in after a few weeks. Since I brought it over to France with me I can't conveniently take the pile of crap back for exchange / refund either. Closer inspection shows it to be of very cheap/poor Chinese construction.

Reply to
David in Normandy

yes, get one, it'll be far more effective than a fan

NT

Reply to
Tabby

If condensation occurs even when you are not having a bath, then this may be of some help. I would imagine that expecting one to cope while you are running the bath may be expecting a bit much. If you don't already have it, getting some heating in there should help, and leaving the door open, and not running the hot tap on its own when filling: so many people create huge unnecessary clouds of steam by running first hot and then cold.

Spamlet

Spamlet wrote on Aug 15, 2010:

Yes of course. My dehumidifier in the bathroom takes an hour or two to remove the excess moisture after a hot shower. I find it more useful in these cool summer days when I don't have the heating on, than in the winter when the humidity in the house tends to be quite low.

Reply to
Mike Lane

Plenty of good advice already on the subject. But best advice of all is to apply a little common sense.

  1. Don't have the hot tap running and then add cold -- you'll make much less steam by running hot water into cold than vice versa
  2. Get the bathroom warm. And that means getting the walls warm BEFORE you run a bath.
  3. Keep the surface temperatures high.
  4. Leave bathroom door open after baths and site dehumidifier as near bathroom door as practicable.
Reply to
John MacLeod