Bad neighbours and cctv question

Don't know, but their kit is good.

Micky

Reply to
Micky Savage

through the checklist and address all the points listed. This will help to ensure that your CCTV system remains within the law and that images can be used by the police to investigate crime."

It's for businesses only.

Reply to
Phil Stovell

That document refers to 'small users' & the Data Protection Act, not a domestic situation;

Quote from ICO - The use of cameras for limited household purposes is exempt from the DPA. This applies where an individual uses CCTV to protect their home from burglary, even if the camera overlooks the street or other areas near their home. Images captured for recreational purposes, such as with a mobile phone, digital camera or camcorder, are also exempt.

See

Cerberus .

Doesn't specifically say it's ok to have it covering a neighbour's property, though.

Thing is if you wish to add a window overlooking a neighbour's house they can object to planning permission. Don't see why a camera is any different.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Read first sentence of third para. -- Business.

It only applies for CCTV used on business premises.

Reply to
<me9

The ICO are only referring to the DPA side of things. A guy accross the corridor probably deals with the privacy side of it.

The following link is interesting

mentioning harassment and voyeurism. Oh well, "The Courts of Human Rights" would probably have something different to say.

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

Fair enough.

Mine has remote viewing. So do plenty of others.

My kit was actually more expensive altogether than your quotes too, but has 4 *good* cameras.

I can't now actually find DVR's as cheap as they were a few months ago. I was checking then when the power supply packed in on mine (before I knew what the problem was, and thought I might need to replace it), and found ones slightly better for under £100, while now they seem to be about £130 for similar.

Reply to
Alex Heney

No change in statute, just the courts deciding that the ICO interpretation of the legislation was wrong.

Reply to
Alex Heney

Got shit loads of power supplies Man.

Will post you one .

No Probs..

Mick

Reply to
Micky Savage

Thanks, but this was about 4-5 months ago now. I replaced it as soon as I knew what the problem was.

Reply to
Alex Heney

OKY DOKY.

the rabbit was Irish.

lol

mick. like me before I get into trouble. Have a lot of spares, just ask before you buy,

:) No probs . Please don't be in the Amaon Basin.

pmsl

Reply to
Micky Savage

"If you use a CCTV system in connection with your business you should work through the checklist and address all the points listed."

There is no law requiring you to register a domestic CCTV system.

Reply to
dennis

We have old women widows living either side of us. One is intensely nosey and spies on all people coming and going and the other keeps herself to herself but has invested £0 in an obnoxious terrier cross that barks at it own far**. Both run a conspiracy against us because we don't conform to their lifestyle (eg we don't worship the selection of wheelie bins we all have to feed and we don't seek to kill every single growing plant in the garden and cover it in concrete. They (not) unwittingly make our life hell on many occasions. We have tried to be good neighbours and help them (in years past). It counts for nothing now alas. We try to ignore them when possible.

Reply to
jake

Look on the bright side. These old farts can't live forever & no doubt you'll eventually be able to dance on their graves (as long as they're not buried at sea). ;-)

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

Look up paranoid in the dictionary.

Reply to
dennis

The problem with much of this CCTV is that the images are not clear enough.

That tends to work at times.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Too true. The man should be tagged.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I'm making the assumption that if they're kicking a football at the OP's windows and not breaking them, they would have to be within a certain distance - say around 50ft, and probably a lot closer. At that distance it will be possible to say "That's so-and-so". I can just make out a car number plate at that range on my setup. For a more positive identification the range is more likely to be around 30ft max.

Either method leads to 'bad feeling and resentment' and possibly just makes things worse - but if you haven't got good neighbours it's perhaps better to have ones that are scared of you.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

The regulations cited apply only to *businesses*, not domestic proprties.

The last paragraph on the first page is the clue you needed.

Reply to
Cynic

It doesn't specifically say that it's OK to take pictures of bananas either.

Anything that is not prohibited is by default permitted.

A camera is not something that requires planning permission.

Reply to
Cynic