Backbox extension

Hi,

I have a 2 gang 35mm deep backbox, but want to put something into it which is deeper than 35mm. Does anyone know if such a thing as an extension exists - just a frame that has no front or back and can be bolted to the front of a backbox to get more depth - even if it does mean it is no longer flush?

Cheers,

Ben

Reply to
Ben

I don't know about 2-gang, but single gang ones are sold in B&Q as decorative wood light switch surrounds.

Failing that it's a chop out the backbox and fit a deeper one (sold for cooker swithes)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

pages 4 /5

hth

Reply to
grumpyat

They would do it, but since the extension will be proud, they would look a bit bad (bare metal). Perhaps I could just use a standard surface mount box, drill the holes right through, and hack out the back...

Reply to
Ben

You can get a 47mm deep flush box from TLC.

You could make an extension by cutting out the back of a surface box and screw over the top of your flush box.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

I think I'll have to do the latter, as I can't replace the backboxes easily... (just decorated)

Thanks

Ben

Reply to
Ben

Ah! Thought you wanted metal

try these, from MK

WHITE

BOXES

MOUNTED FRAMES FOR TRUNKING

CARTON QUANTITY: 10

K2133 WHI

2 gang 20mm deep FOR LOGIC PLUS ACCESSORIES

doubt if anyone will have them off the shelf though, only available with the new style corners

or have a look at MK Pyro Plaastic surface boxes. Either way it will look a bu99er [ IMHO ]

HTH

Reply to
grumpyat

It shouldn't be too visible, and I think it would be far too much trouble to hack the boxes out and dig them deeper, especially since the place has just been done up...

Cheers,

Ben

Reply to
Ben

They exist See:

?sku=PL0892510mm 2 gang @ £0.56 but p&p to add. Manufacturer "BG" anyone know who that is to try local electrical factors?

Peter K

Reply to
PeterK

?sku=PL08925>> 10mm 2 gang @ £0.56 but p&p to add. Manufacturer "BG" anyone know who

Answering myself TLC have the detail

site

PeterK

MK and others sell them in white plastic. But the fixing holes line up with the ones in the backing box - so you'll have to drill or push out the brass thread inserts of the needed ones and fit longer screws. In one gang you can sometimes use one pair of fixings to the box and the other for the socket, but not usually with two gang.

They don't seem to be stocked by many wholesalers so you may have to order a box of them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)