B&Q - the dirty bas...

It is a combination of cost saving and marketing.

Cheap panels have low contrast, poor colour rendition, poor viewing angle (colour varies noticeably top-to-bottom), poor backlight design. Traditional panels use anti-glare coatings to convert pure reflections into lesser specular glare, but they cost money and with low end panels make contrast problems somewhat worse.

Marketing assume consumer laptops will be a few emails, lots of videos, lots of photographs. It is true that videos do look better on screens without anti-glare coatings, and by reducing internal reflections off anti-glare coatings it can improve blacks & contrast.

For office use they are diabolical, the idea you can "see through" the reflections goes against decades of research.

Basically you have to find an optimum balance between screen angle, lights & eyes - at the expense of comfort to the extent of becoming a contortionist! For some environments it is ok, with wall & office lights it can be very tiring.

That said, widescreen unless large and high resolution are equally a bit bizarre for office use - the extra width is useful in spreadsheets but the loss of height is problematic in office applications as well as aspect ratio (graphics).

The best laptop screens have IPS panels, but they were expensive and nearly always partnered with expensive graphics chips which with hindsight proved to result in short lived expensive laptops (ATi, nVidia etc chip & solder issues).

Reply to
js.b1

They give a higher contrast when used in the right conditions.. darkened room watching a film. They are common on entertainment machines, business machines usually come with anti refection screens.

Reply to
dennis

Agreed - I have a glossy NEC 20WGX2 monitor. I was a little worried about the reflection aspect to start with, but really wanted the monitor, as it was S-IPS, and I'd become extremely wary of low-quality LCD, with the dodgy colours. At work, on Dell anti-glare screens, I couldn't tell the difference between Excel's pastel green and pastel blue half of the time!

Anyway, in the home, on a NEC desktop monitor, which sits at about 85 degrees to the desk, the glare is practically non-existent. But yes, in the office - complete pain in the 'arris.

Reply to
John Whitworth
3 for 2.

I was in a nearby town a few days ago and saw a shoe shop offering 3 for 2.

I had to laugh.

Reply to
clonet

I'm Jake the Peg.....

Reply to
Clot

In message , clonet writes

Why, do you like Jake the peg then ?

Reply to
geoff

If you look at something like a bottle of white label cola for 19p it's then obvious that the cost of the bottle, filling, transport and handling is less than 19p - the supermarket is making a profit even at this price. Then you look at the identical size Coke bottle next to it for 69p. Difference in cost of ingredients - 2p? If you can sell for 69p what costs you 21p you have a nice business model.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Might be better to look at cans of full fat Coke they retail at 40 to

60p each. Some one with a CostCo/Makro/Bookers account can get the same product for around 25p/can. I'm sure the big five supermarkets won't be paying anything like 25p/can, if only from the volume of sales.

In the above example the big supermarkets might not be making much, if any profit, on the white label goods It's there to get footfall and people buying other stuff at 200% markup...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Shoe shop in Northampton had a sign up: "Buy one get one free" - that's a bit ambiguous.

Reply to
PeterC

Yes, we only ever buy cans of Coke at Costco! The price is as you say. And I guess nearly everyone here can get a card, if not a trade one. Prices are the same for all.

Reply to
Bob Eager