B & D Lawnrake / Motor Problem

Someone has given me a Black and Decker 1500 lawn rake - that wasn't working.

1st thing I did was to check the cable to and from the switch - all OK

2nd was to then check the wiring to the motor thinking that it's complete lack of response was a break in a cable somewhere - after removing loads of screws - still couldn't gain access to the motor and cable - however for some reason I tried the power switch with the drive belt removed and it ran fine.

If I put the drive belt back on it runs for only about a second and then stops.

Remove the drive belt and the cog attached to the motor spins quite happily - put the drive belt on and again only about a second before it cuts out.

The cog/spindle that's driven by the belt can be turned by hand - it's a bit stiff but not overly so - considering that this spindle has the rake head attached to it I would have thought it's slight stiffness wouldn't be a major problem.

So the motor runs ok until it comes under a slight load is that indicative of the motor being u/s

I can't hold the motors cog when the power is applied and wouldn't have thought there is more torque/resistance in the driven spindle than me trying to hold the motors cog.

Any thoughts ...............

Regards

Steve.

- Steve Lowe

- E-Mail : snipped-for-privacy@usa.net

- Before Replying Remove .NO.SPAM

- UK Resident although my e-mail address is usa.net

Reply to
Steve Lowe

Hi Brushes sticking in there sockets? Al

Reply to
al