Automatic garage door - any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2
As I remarked in an earlier message, I now have a fully working automatic garage door. However one problem is that if I don't remember to park the Freelander forward then I'm going to have an expensive repair job to look forward to, as the canopy door extension bar sticks out several inches, and will clobber the rear of the Freelander.
The door opener/closer is the Motorlift 5000 from Screwfix.
I need to have some sort of proximity detector which will either prevent the door from closing, or alternatively beep at me or flash a light if the car isn't far enough forward in the garage.
Any ideas, possibly with links?
Andrew
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:54:55 +0100, Andrew McKay

Are you sure that the canopy arm is actually needed? When I did mine, the instructions suggest that one is, by the design of the door, but in fact it isn't
.andy To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Well.....
I hear where you are coming from, but the canopy door levels out horizontally. And prior to fitting the opener I tried applying pressure on the top of the door in a horizontal direction - it wouldn't budge.
Hence why I went for the canopy arm, because I believe that splits the horizontal movement to a force direction which causes the door to close.
I suppose I could try it without, but I was a bit worried about knadgering the drive system and maybe having the door fall off through being given some brute force in a direction it decided to resist :)
Andrew
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 23:18:05 +0100, Andrew McKay

OK. Mine level out horizontally too, but there's no problem getting it to move by pushing the top. Do you have horizontal tracks as part of the door mechanism? If so, are they aligned properly? I had to adjust mine because the builder did not install correctly.
However, see other post
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I'll check this out.
However, no horizontal tracks that I recall.
Andrew
Andrew McKay wrote in message ...

instructions normally specify that the canopy door should not open fully. It should have a gap of say 4" between the front of the door and the bottom of the top of the frame. This is to give the door a downhill start when it starts to close. Regards Capitol
Regards Capitol
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 01:24:27 +0100, "Capitol"

If I did that then I'd have to bend down to get into the garage.
The instructions I have here (from Chamberlain) very clearly show the door horizontal to the ceiling when fully open.
Andrew
Andrew McKay wrote:

the rear wheel would be with the car in the correct position. Didn't help when I remotely made the door come down on the open hatchback though :-(
"Andrew McKay" wrote | As I remarked in an earlier message, I now have a fully working | automatic garage door. However one problem is that if I don't remember | to park the Freelander forward then I'm going to have an expensive | repair job to look forward to, as the canopy door extension bar sticks | out several inches, and will clobber the rear of the Freelander. | I need to have some sort of proximity detector which will either | prevent the door from closing, or alternatively beep at me or flash a | light if the car isn't far enough forward in the garage.
An infra-red beam break detector positioned the requisite distance/height from the garage door sounds the sort of thing. Maplin.co.uk BZ64U or p557 in the Catalogue for GBP 25. 12-20Vdc supply, reed relay normally-closed might do the job.
Owain
Andrew McKay wrote:

How about a lever-arm switch with the lever running parallel to the bar so that it'd kill the power if it came too close.
--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk /
Andrew McKay wrote in message ...

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 23:35:40 +0100, "Capitol"

Forgot to mention - it's a double-width garage, so mounting the sender and receiver units might be a tad difficult. There's usually always something in the way on the other side of the garage, and you can't mount these things in midair to span just one bay.
Andrew
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 06:14:23 +0100, Andrew McKay

Careful use of a mirror in the middle? I'm not sure if it's IR though .andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Mounting the mirror would be the problem.
Andrew
Further comments on this. Chamberlain appear to have lost all their business in the US. They were the number 1 supplier. The last time I looked, Sears, Home Depot, Menards & Lowes had all moved over to Genie screw driven systems. I was unable to buy Chamberlain chain drive spares off the shelf.(Although they are still available.) Be aware that this may happen here. My own opener went obsolete 2 years after buying it.
Most photo cell systems operate as normally closed or normally open constant current switches. It is sometimes possible to add a sensor to an existing door controller if the electronics can be fiddled appropriately, but it is not easy. I had to do this, using a Chamberlain photocell system, powered off a walwart and with the output logic reversed. I don't recommend it. In the US, there have been a number of children crushed under garage doors when closing and current practice is always to fit the photo cell units which are supplied as part of the fixing kit. Regards Capitol

Chamberlain makes Sears openers under the Craftsman name & they also make them under the Liftmaster name. Hence they are the worlds largest garage door opener manufacturer. Although they don't look the same they all use the same parts inside. Genie is now owned by the Overhead Door Corporation and therefore those two operators are the same. Both companies make chain drive, screw drive, and belt drive operators however you may not see all three types in some markets. Stores & garage door dealers tend to focus on marketing only two or three models and while they can get any of the models they usually do not stock them or they will simply stock what they can get the best deal on at any particular time. Most openers that were made before UL-325 required photo-cells on all openers in the United States are becoming obsolete since manufacturers will no longer support these operators due to the liability issues. The photo-cells that come w/ the opener are to protect children or other people from getting injured from a garage door and are not there to protect vehicles. Per UL requirements the photo-cells on both sides need to be 3"-5" off of the floor which will be underneath the ends of vehicles. Therefore anyone that alters the installation of these photo-cells are very open to some very serious personal liability issues should heaven forbid that anything tragic should happen. Once your insurance company learns of this they will leaving you hanging out to dry in a heartbeat.
<snip>

windscreen when the car is far enough in the garage. Not high tech but it works! Steve R
--
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

Yes, but the only problem is if I happen to be thinking of something else whilst parking and pull up to where I used to park (I did this by aligning the passenger door to a spot on the garage wall) then the tennis ball isn't going to leap up and down to say "oi - you haven't moved far enough forward!".
Andrew

I warned you about parking something tall, and you called me a midget?! ;-) Reverse in, makes for batman style getaways with the electric door. (Or hill street blues...) Bit of plank on the floor, good for nudging up against, bad for tripping over. Dangly string must touch windscreen. Or nudge something on the side wall, stepladder? My sister used to nudge the boiler!!
Toby.
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 16:22:58 +0100, "Toby"

I didna call ya a midget, mon! I just said I was concerned if you HAD been a midget ;)

Listen, going in forwards is hard enough - their is 1.5in to spare with the wing mirrors sticking out and the single door frame (I know because I've caught them twice in 3 years.....).
Plus if I reversed in I'd have to get out the passenger door.....
Andrew