Automatic garage door - any suggestions?

instructions normally specify that the canopy door should not open fully. It should have a gap of say 4" between the front of the door and the bottom of the top of the frame. This is to give the door a downhill start when it starts to close. Regards Capitol

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

If I did that then I'd have to bend down to get into the garage.

The instructions I have here (from Chamberlain) very clearly show the door horizontal to the ceiling when fully open.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

Mounting the mirror would be the problem.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

Further comments on this. Chamberlain appear to have lost all their business in the US. They were the number 1 supplier. The last time I looked, Sears, Home Depot, Menards & Lowes had all moved over to Genie screw driven systems. I was unable to buy Chamberlain chain drive spares off the shelf.(Although they are still available.) Be aware that this may happen here. My own opener went obsolete 2 years after buying it.

Most photo cell systems operate as normally closed or normally open constant current switches. It is sometimes possible to add a sensor to an existing door controller if the electronics can be fiddled appropriately, but it is not easy. I had to do this, using a Chamberlain photocell system, powered off a walwart and with the output logic reversed. I don't recommend it. In the US, there have been a number of children crushed under garage doors when closing and current practice is always to fit the photo cell units which are supplied as part of the fixing kit. Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Chamberlain makes Sears openers under the Craftsman name & they also make them under the Liftmaster name. Hence they are the worlds largest garage door opener manufacturer. Although they don't look the same they all use the same parts inside. Genie is now owned by the Overhead Door Corporation and therefore those two operators are the same. Both companies make chain drive, screw drive, and belt drive operators however you may not see all three types in some markets. Stores & garage door dealers tend to focus on marketing only two or three models and while they can get any of the models they usually do not stock them or they will simply stock what they can get the best deal on at any particular time. Most openers that were made before UL-325 required photo-cells on all openers in the United States are becoming obsolete since manufacturers will no longer support these operators due to the liability issues. The photo-cells that come w/ the opener are to protect children or other people from getting injured from a garage door and are not there to protect vehicles. Per UL requirements the photo-cells on both sides need to be 3"-5" off of the floor which will be underneath the ends of vehicles. Therefore anyone that alters the installation of these photo-cells are very open to some very serious personal liability issues should heaven forbid that anything tragic should happen. Once your insurance company learns of this they will leaving you hanging out to dry in a heartbeat.

Reply to
Doordoc