autochaser decorative lights

I have a non working set of xmas lights, the wallwart seems to work and the light strings have continuity but they don't switch on. I guess the controller is broken, any suggestions for a diy method to make some use of them?

The wallwart is 24V 14VA, 120 2.4V, .29W lights in 4 strings.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

In article , snipped-for-privacy@despammed.com writes

Something doesn't add up there, 4 strings of 30x2.4V would need 72 volts to light up.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

12 strings of 10, only half of which can be on at once?
Reply to
Ian Stirling

Sorry I cannot explain this, there are 5 wires leaving the controller and I assumed it to be 4 live and a neutral. I don't even know if the controller outputs dc or ac. Thanks for looking though.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

In article , snipped-for-privacy@despammed.com writes

They normally are 4 circuits and one return, some are mains fed but I presume yours is low voltage from the "wallwart". It will be AC because they use triacs to turn the lamps on and off, and triacs don't work on DC.

You could try powering up one string of lights direct from the wall wart and see what happens. 14VA is not enough power to light them all up though if they are .29W each.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

If it's a chaser, diversity will apply.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In article , Dave Plowman writes

Err... how will that help?

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Sorry - my attribution seems to have gone astray.

I was trying to explain to AJH why the figures didn't add up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman