Asphalt costs

I have just been quoted £2,700 for asphalting 42 square metres of drivewa y. It did include granite set kerbs at each end and some slightly fiddly wo rk round a doorstep. This is to renew a previously asphalted section so the hard base is there.

The contractor reckoned it would take two days but I don't know how large a crew that would involve. I would have thought two people could easily do t he work in that time.

This seems expensive to me. Does anyone else have any experience of pricing that sort of work?

Thanks

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Beware the pikey!

Reply to
Peter Crosland

You might need planning permission since its an impervious surface.

Reply to
charles

driveway. It did include granite set kerbs at each end and some slightly fiddly work round a doorstep. This is to renew a previously asphalted section so the hard base is there.

large a crew that would involve. I would have thought two people could easily do the work in that time.

pricing that sort of work?

Yes; recently had quote for 43 sq M - £1980 that was to dig out old, lay new hardcore, base coat 60mm and top coat 35mm. Also all disposal costs.

Reply to
David

Didn't know anyone other than large road projects bought it ........... Pikies always selling it when roads being built in my area.

"Would you loike a little bit ov'de black stuff putting down'

In almost all Pikey jobs it is not laid with the 2 types (binder and top coat) and not thick enough. While it looks great once finished ....... starts delaminating after first frosts.

If they are a pucker company ask them to give you a copy of spec they will lay it to.

The accepted standard is 100mm hard core compacted, 50mm bider course with 25mm top layer.

IF you want to know all about Tarmac ... then Cormnaic is your man ...

Rick Hughes

I once spoke to a pukka road contractor, who was doing a car park on a site.

They would return unused tarmac to the suppliers around mid-day for recycling or disposal and there would be hordes of pikies hanging around, waiting to buy the 'scrap' tarmac that would otherwise go into a landfill.

It was cheaper for the suppliers than paying for proper disposal.

I know diddley about tarmac.

Reply to
Onetap

veway. It did include granite set kerbs at each end and some slightly fiddl y work round a doorstep. This is to renew a previously asphalted section so the hard base is there.

ge a crew that would involve. I would have thought two people could easily do the work in that time.

cing that sort of work?

halt.aspx

Jim K

Reply to