asphalting steps?

Hi

In an old damp proofing report for the place I'm in, it mentions that the conrete front entrance steps up to a shared entrance should be 'asphalted' to provent water ingress. This wasn't done and ten years of ingress has occurred. The area below the steps is where the electricity meters are housed.

Does it really mean asphalt as I think of it (on the roads) because I would think that to be porous. Shouldn't it be some kind of membrane that the water should not penetrate? Any ideas what sort of people should I be contacting about having the work done?

Emma

Reply to
emma_middlebrook

I think it means asphalt as used on flat roofs, which would be waterproof.

asphalt roofer?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Asphalt is the fine stuff you find on pavements - it's waterproof.

The stuff on roads is tarmac (generally).

My mate had his asphalting done by a local bloke on the council estate he lived on. It was a first class job. Drive round and look out for someone with a tarry (sp?) truck outside their house is one option. While driving, look out for anyone who's drive looks fresh (ie jet black, not grey) and if the job looks good, stop and ask them who did it.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

That makes more sense. I couldn't quite work out how normal asphalt would be used in Emma's case.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Cheers, I knew it couldn't be the stuff on roads!

Emma

Reply to
emma_middlebrook

A house down this street - with a semi-basement - had the steps done with asphalt. It melted and looks a mess.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm wondering exactly what is meant. Bitumen on the steps themselves would be a real problem in a hot summer, one likely to be followed by minor legal claims for damage to clothing.

A picture would help make the situatoin all much clearer.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Contrary to popular belief (as demonstrated on this thread so far!) asphalt is *not* tarmac, nor is it used on roads, pavements or anywhere else for driving purposes, asphalt (pronounced 'ashfelt') has been used in houses for many decades for a finished floor and is still used to this day, it is bitumen based but the finish is similar to a polished black surface, outdoors it is primarilly used on top of concrete rooves such as garages, it doesn't melt in the sun, nor does it become tacky like bitumen, see this site for more info:

in the yellow pages for asphalters

Reply to
Phil L

My roof terrace is surfaced in asphalt - that's what the architect's spec says and he oversaw and approved the finished work - and it's painted white to stop it melting in the sun. Which it still has, slightly. Installed by a company called Able Asphalt, strangely.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from snipped-for-privacy@care2.com contains these words:

I had a learner once who lived above a shop. Access was via a pitch-covered roof - and the metal fire escape was covered in pitch too. Scary! Looked vile, too, and on very hot days it sort of slumped and was all tacky.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks very much for filling in me on this - mastic asphalt - that's it! Have sorted out a couple to come and have a look. Amusingly, one company is having a day off tomorrow because it's far too hot to do any work!

Cheers

Emma

Reply to
emma_middlebrook

I've tried to find out the melting point of asphalt and so far failed. However, I've seen many applications - like flat roofs on public buildings or car parks etc where it has obviously melted in the sun.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

American site, but

gives softening points ranging from 135F to 225F (57C to 107C) for different roofing grades.

Reply to
John Armstrong

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Can I just point out this...

Guy King

that it says the hottest day on record was 26C in Epsom during July 1911, it was hotter than that here last week, and today it was well over 33C....even tarmac doesn't melt as such once it's properly set, which in this heat can take weeks - although asphalt (in the sense of this thread) sets much harder than tarmac (motorway stuff) and is much denser

Reply to
Phil L

The heat asphalt will attain in the sun has little to do with those temperatures which are measured in the shade.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)