Armoured Cat5 - where to get?

Page 1 of 2
Subject says it all - wehere can I get some armoured Cat5?
TIA
--
Grunff

Steel conduit and normal Cat5?
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

Well, that's the fallback, but given the shape of the trench armoured would be much nicer + easier.
I know it exists, I just can't find a supplier.
--
Grunff

Point to point wireless might be cheaper than laying a trench. However, if you already have the trench for other services, then this is less attractive. I've still never come across armoured Cat5. Armoured telephone cable is easy enough to find. If you do find armoured Cat5, let everyone know, it could be very useful.
What sort of run is this? Have you considered using optical fibre? This might be good for long runs, especially when you start getting serious mismatches in earth potential. You can get media converters for around 90 quid nowadays. It is excellent for long runs in noisy environments, but serious overkill to run it 10m to your shed.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

Trench is already dug for other services, wireless ruled out for several reasons.
I'm sure I've seen the stuff, but I can't think where.

It's about 50m between house + office. I did think about fibre, but can't really think of enough advantages to justify it.
--
Grunff

you, however for 50m the cost would most likely be too much to justify.

Electrical isolation - any problems in one building won't take out the system in the other. Noise immunity. Avoids problems caused by differing earth potentials in different buildings. It's probably cheaper than getting some twisted pair armoured. Fast Ethernet today, gigabit tomorrow - fibre will take it all whereas Cat 5e just might.
Phil
Phil wrote:

Yes, but I'd still want the fibre to be armoured! So even if I decide to use fibre, it's back to square one.
--
Grunff

You have to be careful with the differing earths, this can cause probelsm in teh hubs/switches at either end.
If you really must use cat 5 how about some water /hose pipe and just push the standard cat5 through that?
ChrisJ
ChrisJ wrote:

Yes, using conduit of some sort is certainly an option, but steel wire armoured cable, like my mains and phone cables, would be preferable.
It's a shame that there don't appear to be any suppliers for the stuff. Armoured mains and phone are easy and cheap to obtain, cat5 is non-existent.
--
Grunff

Don't discount the electrical benefits of using fibre, though. You could have real problems on Cat5 over 50m with incompatible voltage levels that might interact with the building earthing arrangements, especially with TT earthing, which would be recommended for such building separation. Fibre would overcome this as it doesn't use voltage.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

Point taken - but do you know any suppliers or armoured fibre?
;-)
--
Grunff

and destroying the NICs. Surely 802.11x is the way to go for this application, but OP doesn't want this, so I agree - fibre is the best bet. A good place to check out products is http://www.blackbox.co.uk /
JR

If it's for Cat 5 ethernet, I'm pretty sure the cable is isolated at both ends, i.e. both the NIC and hub use isolating transformers on the cable pairs. Other applications don't necessarily (like ISDN).
--
Andrew Gabriel

don't see a problem with differing earths.
--
fred

That's a lot of isolation! So it's OK, provided you use it for Ethernet. Other services may vary, presumably.
Christian.

Don't forget the shielding used in STP cable.
--
A. Top posters.

fred

Grunff wrote:

Use mains water pipe as ducting. Thats pretty much what e.g. BT do when running twisted pair around the place. Leave a string in and you can pull fibre throughh later..
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:19:19 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Except that is blue for water. There is a standard colour code for buried services, I think it's probably best to stick with it.

Unless it's a pretty straight run and large diameter pipe I doubt you could pull another cable in. Use the the old CAT5 to pull the new fibre in, assuming that there are no inaccesable bends...
I put a single CAT5 down just 10m of flexable plasitic conduit this summer and unless the conduit was pretty straight there was no way the cable was going to go through.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Phil wrote:

Having read what the situation is, I'd say fiber too.
Its not that expensive, and not too hard to terminate to the sort of standard needed for relaible 50m transmission.
Ty Black Box or betterbox for various interface units.