Are wireless door bell makes compatible?

If we buy a new wireless door bell press button, would it have to be the sa me make as the old receiver, which is working perfectly well? I know you h ave to tune the transmitter to the receiver, but do all manufacturers use t he same frequencies or are they completely different? Unfortunately we don't know the make of our receiver but replacing the whol e thing seems an unnecessary expense. Thanks for any advice on this.

Reply to
kent

FWIW, I found a Siemens set worked with an own brand set from B&Q. The two bell pushes registered independantly on both receivers, so back door and front door chimes could be heard on both.

I would guess it depends on the chips used.

Reply to
Adrian C

They tend to use similar frequencies but the crucial parts are the system they use to code the push to the bell and the protocol they use to send the information. the simplest ones tend to have a very basic number of versions and its pot luck if your push operated a neighbours. some of the more expensive ones let you select the codes to match and hopefully be unique to your device. the short answer is that you would need detailed technical knowledge of the systems to know if you could get odd makes to work each others units, and in any case I've yet to see one where you can buy one piece and not the other. so, buy a new bell and have done with it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You can in fact by Byron parts independently, useful if you find you need to modify a system. I have a Byron wireless transmitter wired into a conventional wired system. This triggers Byron receivers reliably, other receivers seem to work for a while and then need a re-boot.

Reply to
newshound

same make as the old receiver, which is working perfectly well? I know you have to tune the transmitter to the receiver, but do all manufacturers use the same frequencies or are they completely different?

ole thing seems an unnecessary expense.

Thanks guys. Looks as if we'll have to fork out!

Reply to
kent