Are steel security cables choppable?

It's reasonable to expect care towards members of the emergency services who, for a variety of reasons, might be on your premises.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

You have a duty of care towards anyone on your premises. And for good reason - were it otherwise it would be tantamount to saying that we have corporal punishment (or even capital punishment) for burglary.

You might /want/ to do the blighters in, but it ain't allowed. For one thing, you'd have to ber certain that anyone doing what you assume is wrong is actually doing wrong.

We had a kid jump over the back fence in our old house in Rayner's Lane. He chose the wrong fence - landed in the 6' strip of blackberries we kept to deter people from jumping over the fence. As it happens he was fleeing from a bunch other kids who were intent on kicking the shit out of him - only they saw the brambles and he didn't.

While I was picking thorns out of him they came round the front and were met by the police coming the other way.

Reply to
Skipweasel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jilly saying something like:

Cordless angle-grinder, easy-peasy.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

blade

A strong chain just means that they go for the next weakest link

Get a PIR and a dozen sound bombs

- it just makes life very unpleasant to be in the vicinity when they go off, they get "inside" your head

Reply to
geoff

My good bike was about half what my Rangerover cost, which is still more than I've paid for any other car.

Fortunately both times that someone has tried to nick it (whilst riding, although coming home through town rather than off-road) the U lock stopped them.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes, I use two at work.

it does

Not that I can see

It is

Settable

Moderate

It can be set to record 20 sec video or a series of jpegs. There does seem quite some variation in sensitivity between the two units, also there is ~1 second delay between sensing and recording, which is why a little while back I asked about means to externally trigger the pir, without delving into the electronics.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Warning signs are *not* a defence against a claim of negligence - what if the trespasser couldn't read them ? (which is what the high court ruled, years ago).

Reply to
Jethro

Such deterrents are usually more effective than most things. Sea buckthorn performs most impressively :-)

John

Reply to
John MacLeod

Pictogram?

Surely one only has to take "reasonable" steps to warn trespassers?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks - all useful stuff.

With regard to the override do you know if the lamp is switched by a relay or electronically? A relay normally makes a click as it switches. I'd feel happier hacking into a relay-driven circuit than an electronically driven one.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I don't think the logic that drives the sensor is very rigorous. It is possible to trigger the camera and not the light. This shows because a green led indicates when it is recording, this is silent. There is an audible click when the light comes on and I sense this is after the green led is lit on the occasions when both trigger

AJH

Reply to
andrew