Are my window handles interchangeable?

Please take a look at my window handles:

they interchangeable?

How do I remove them? I can see one screw. Is the other underneath what looks like a covering cap? Is this simply prised up with a thin-bladed screwdriver?

I assume I don't have to dismantle the whole window, but simply remove the handles, then swap them over, yes?

Second question: Is there a reason why the main window handle in the kitchen does NOT have a lock in the button? Is this a fire safety consideration?

Thanks!

MM

Reply to
MM

yes

thats usually the way

correct

I dont know. Would you need to go through a room to escape otherwise?

NT

Reply to
Tabby

I got a replacement for our 15 year old windows from the guy who supplied and fitted a couple of PVCu doors for us a couple of months ago. Nothing special, he just pulled one out of his regular supply.

Just flip off the plastic cap, undo the screw from underneath along with the other, already visible, one, pull the old handle off and fit the new one. 10 minutes (to allow for the old one sticking).

Don't know.

handles:

>>> Are they interchangeable?

I'd need to go out of the kitchen through the hall, then out the front door, OR out of the kitchen into the (small) annexe and out the back door. Certainly not as direct as through the kitchen window in an emergency.

The house, by the way, was built in 2004.

The reason for all this is that I have in the past simply ticked the box saying "all ground floor windows fitted with locks", not thinking of the kitchen window (all *other* ground floor windows DO have locks in their buttons - same key for whole house).

I've tried to find relevant information from Lincs Fire and Rescue, Building Regs and elsewhere, but it's like hunting for a needle in a haystack to find a definitive answer.

So, if I can just take one of the lockable handles from upstairs and swap it with the kitchen window - job done and insurer doesn't need to know. Otherwise, I'll have to contact insurer and be prepared for a hefty policy alteration fee.

MM

Reply to
MM

MM (kylix snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) wibbled on Thursday 03 March 2011 12:14:

Probably.

Move the handle to the open position - the other screw is possibly there.

I got somevery nice locakble cockspurs for my ali windows from ebay - exact fit. In the process, I noticed a few sites (ebay and regular e-retailers) selling all sorts of uPVC handles in a variety of standard sizes - you with a bit of lookingyou'll probably find some.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Just realised that my other answer wasn't to the question you asked! Apologies. However, it could provide an alternative to swapping handles. Just go to your local independent glazier and get an additional lockable handle. Our insurance requires *all* handles to be lockable...

You should think twice about doing that. Declaring lockable windows usually provides only a minimal discount in your premium, however it brings with it a high risk of being used against you in the event of a break-in if the locks are suspected as having not been in use (whether that is or is not the case). The same goes for BS-approved door locks.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

MM (kylix snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) wibbled on Thursday 03 March 2011 12:14:

Have a look here:

is pretty reliable - I got my new ali handles there (to replace non lockable ones).

Reply to
Tim Watts

This is why I want to fit a lockable handle! One from upstairs, which is NOT mentioned in the policy. I can swap the handles and save myself a tenner, plus I can be sure that the design is the same.

MM

Reply to
MM

That's my point - even though you may wish to fit a lockable handle with whatever security it may bring (probably none) then I would not tell declare to the insurance company that all your windows are lockable as there is an implication that they will always be locked. Are you certain they always will be? I don't think the risk is worth the =A310 discount....

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I don't think the policy states that they will/must always be locked, but simply whether locks are fitted. In any case, all the lockable ones ARE locked whenever I leave the house. In summer, if I need to open a window, I unlock it, then relock it in the evening or when I'm going out. Not a big deal.

MM

Reply to
MM

It doesn't need to. If you state they're all lockable there's an implication you will be locking them. Otherwise, why would they give a discount if you've got locks fitted but never actually locked them?!

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Ours asked if the windows have handle locks, which they do. They didn't ask about the doors though and 3 of our outside doors have thumb turns on the inside which can't be locked.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

MM

Reply to
MM

Probably.

Remove the screws.

Yes.

Or a knife, yes.

Normally, yes. But you might need to saw down the length of the square piece of metal that protrudes into the window (does this have a name?).

No idea. Not seen that kind of thing before.

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

handles:

>>> Are they interchangeable?

Finally got round to swapping my window handles! Took all of ten minutes, including walking up and down the stairs twice. Now I have all lockable handles on the ground floor and I am SO happy!

MM

Reply to
MM