Anyone used a Dustbuddy with a box sinker?

I usually hold the vacuum nozzle behind the box sinker (toothed kind rather than rotary Armeg) when sinking holes but I was wondering if this gadget offered any improvement in efficiency when minimising dust is a concern:

know Grimly Curmudgeon bought one back in 2007 for use with an Armeg. If you're reading this, anything to report on its usefulness or otherwise?

Is it likely to work better with a dust-prodcing Armeg than a chunk- producing toothed sinker?

Anyone else got one? I thought there was a discussion about making your own a while ago but I haven't managed to find it in Google groups archive.

Reply to
mike

I use a Quad Cut, which does generate loads of dust when doing the circular holes. I just use a bowl-shaped piece of plastic, cut from the packaging of another tool, to try to contain the dust. It's a bit of a pain to use - you need a helper to hold it, but it does massively cut down the dust even without a vac.

It's a bit difficult to tell from the photo, but the Dustbuddy does seem to leave quite a big gap around the cutter, so I can't see it doing much without a vac. Still, it's pretty cheap so it might be worth a punt.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

It certainly works with an Armeg single sinker. The reduction in dust is remarkable.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

I'll be using it with the half-width sinker/chaser so I take Colin's point about the big gap around the cutter.

Anyway, for the price, I've decided to give it a go so I'll report back for anyone interested.

Reply to
mike

"Did you know you can also use your Dustbuddy with box sinking tools such as Armeg? Simply fix the Dustbuddy to the wall using a 3" screw, once finished unscrew the Dustbuddy and fill the screw hole."

...although I guess this was an afterthought when it had gone into production as there are no fixing holes or tabs included in the design, although it would obviously be easy enough to drill a hole in it somewhere.

In this instance, I held it in place as I didn't want to damage surrounding decoration or take any more risk with crumbly 1930s plaster. Not particularly easy to use on your own, one hand holding this and the other the SDS. Would be much easier with a partner.

Reply to
mike

That's a thought. It would be a trivial matter to glue a support tab onto it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon