Anyone here done a parachute jump?

In message , Jabba writes

No just pay on the door.

Reply to
bert

I flew on Concorde from Nice airport. Three weeks late it crashed after take off killing the same pilot, the crew - and all the passengers.

Reply to
bert

Iv done one by myself years ago..but I think that the 2nd would be harder.

Reply to
sintv

I did a skydive from 15,000 ft in New Zealand in 2005, my mum also did it, and she was 60 at the time!

Both of us really enjoyed it and would definitely do it again.

For me, the worst part was the lead-up (having never done it before, not knowing what it is like) but as soon as you are out, it is just really really windy (before the chute opens) - You really don't feel like you are falling, as there isn't really a point of reference to compare your speed to close enough to judge, it just looks like the ground is coming towards you fairly slowly really.

Once the chute opens, then it goes quiet, and you float to the ground and hopefully land gracefully!

Reply to
Toby

Ask them if they practice chute failures.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Only the once.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I did a jump a fair few years back - but not tandem, static line - they tie the ripcord to the plane whilst you're still on terra firma. Just as well, really, in my mate's case - he fell out the door of the plane whilst getting into position...

The idea of a tandem jump didn't appeal at all. Just strapped there with no control? Sod that. OK, you get to have a bit of freefall which you don't with a static line. But... nope, the bit I enjoyed most on the way down was playing with controlling the 'chute. Pull this cord, it goes that way. Pull that cord, it goes that way. Pull both, it brakes. Great fun.

Reply to
Adrian

Did a tandem parachute jump many years back. It's a bit like a balloon flight in so much as you are totally in the hands of the weather.

Took 3 separate journeys to the airfield to get a day with the right weather conditions to coincide with the weekend.

Thoroughly enjoyed it in the end though.

:)

Reply to
nobody

Yup. Years ago, wasn't sponsored but I was young and daft. Was a completely different system then . You jumped solo with a line back to the aircraft to make sure your parachute opened, six of these without fluffing (three ordinary static line jumps and three were you pretended to pull the rip-cord [dummy rips]) and you were allowed to go onto free-fall (were you opened the chute yourself).

There was no feeling of they aren't listening to me or I am not being fully trained. Liked it so much that I went on to do six static line and then three free fall jumps.

Would imagine there is even less to do/think about in a tandem jump seems you are strapped to someone who knows what they are doing and the landing with these ram-air canopies can be very gentle.

Go for it it IS a bit intimidating but requires very little thought from you.

Reply to
soup

Where not were

Reply to
soup

No, leave them open, they'll drain faster...

I almost did one for real years ago in a gliding near miss. Problem was were weren't that high around 1500 feet ..

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , ARW writes

Has anyone suggested a tandem jump with a lap dancer yet? You might get a few more takers for the parachute jump that way.

Reply to
Bill

Yes, same for me although all of mine where nearly 30 years ago. I was jumping the NATO 28 foot round canopies, with the 22 foot throwaway reserves. You'd dispose of the main parachute by operating the Capewells on each shoulder.

Reply to
Nige Danton

I did one years ago. During the training I asked the instructor "how long would I have if my main chute failed and I had to deploy the reserve chute (after waiting the statuary 6 secs) before I hit the ground (if the reserve didn't work)", he replied "17 secs". Everyone gulped. After hearing that, two out the three girls on the course decided that they wouldn't jump :-) This was from 2,500 ft.

Reply to
Bod

:) In reality 17 seconds is a very long time when all you have to do is deploy your reserve. But for a low-time jumper the issue is one of being able to keep it all together sufficiently to actually get the reserve out in the event of a total malfunction. There are/were devices known as AODs (automatic opening devices) that could be fitted to reserves and would activate the reserve if the jumper was still in free fall at 2,000 feet, but these were not fitted to student parachute rigs as it was said they generated a "false sense of security" for the parachutist. It's probably different now.

Reply to
Nige Danton

Indeed, I agree with all of that.

Reply to
Bod

Done a few jumps .... but no tandem .... personally I think the buz is about getting the training, real good 'bonding' while doing the fan training jumps, exit drills etc. Then when you do your first static line jump it's all about you .... you having the balls to sit in the door way and push yourself out .... not doing it the wimpy way with an instructor strapped on your back.

For a Stag Do .... Lap Dancing sounds much safer option.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

"sit in the door way and push yourself out"? I had to climb out onto the wing....... *Cessna 172 at Thruxton motor racing circuit*

Reply to
Bod

Many, though courtesy of HM, although that's a very different kettle of fish. Really though, why would you want to? If you get a thrill from such things, roller coasters, bungee jumping, rock climbing, then crack on with it. Similarly if you have a need to prove to yourself how brave you are. Otherwise, have a word with yourself and find out why you'd want to.

The people who promote these things are the schools and charities who stand to profit from it.

The hazard is a partially deployed or asymmetrical canopy that will start you spinning. Sport jumpers will cut away and get stable again before deploying the reserve. If you don't, the reserve will twist around the main canopy and make things worse.

Reply to
Onetap