Anyone built a house from SIPs?

How easy/difficult was it?

Who did you use? Would you use them again?

Kit/bespoke?

How did cost compare to traditional methods?

I am interested in doing this. I have applied for permission to subvidivide my garden. We are going to move into the new house if we get it - so we want to build it to our specs, not just to sell.

Nick.

Reply to
NickW

SIPS? Single in line packages? those teeny chips used in computer boards?

Isn't that carrying recycling a bit far?

Or did you mean SIPPS - self invested pension plans..?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

SIPs - Structural Insulated Panels

manatbandq

Some links for your perusal :)

want to stick in a 5kw ground sourced heatpump (water-air) along with a heat recovery system. Also solar hot water heating.... if I get planning permission.

Reply to
NickW

In message , NickW writes

Some interesting stuff, do you have an idea of the cost over traditional building techniques?

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Also make sure you can find someone willing to give you buildings insurance at an affordable price.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Sounds good to me, but have no info for you - sorry.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Drop the heat pump, too expensive and not needed. Build the house of SIPs, as thick as possible. Once superinsulation and air tightness is reached no full heating system is needed. A small in-line duct heater battery can be installed in the Heat recovery ductwork (uprate the ductwork). Solar panels can supplement DHW. Spend the money on insulation and air-tightness not fancy machines.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Go to the UK_selfbuild forum on Yahoo. They are the ones to ask. There are far too many plantpots on this forum.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

SIPS are about the strongest buildings around.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

why are you dredging up posts from 4 months ago?

Reply to
Phil L

Just saw it and he still may be looking.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Said weeed ;-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

PatnDope, you are into weed?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Has to be a definition of disappointment... you wait all that time for an answer, and when you finally get one it is from dribble.

Reply to
John Rumm

That's put the kibosh on it then.

filled with asthma inducing foam. No doubt that explains a lot about drivel which I don't want to know.

The structure looks like the stuff first engineered in Finland, so an holiday there might be worth investing in. The I beams are compressed waste from the mill that prepares the rest of the house with the best bits of the trees.

It certainly is a green house. The thing with such designs is that you can not cut corners and if you are doing the build yourself, the tendency to bodge along might land you in trouble.

As with all prefabs; expert, experienced help is a great investment. I would pay extra to get an overseer of some sort who really knows what he is doing. The savings made in getting a great job done quickly, more than pay for him.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Essex is near Suffolk isn't it?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If you don't know it is best to stay quiet otherwise you yourself to look a bigger idiot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Especially if you can't parse a sentence.

How about you shutting the f*ck up when you know nothing? For the avoidance of doubt this would involve you joining a trappist monastery.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Please eff off as you are a total plantpot, many on the group think so:

are very popular. Fior your own good it is best you eff off.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel