Baths question...

After a bit of googling im still not drawing any definite conclusions about acrylic bath thicknesses

We are re-fitting our bathroom and considering a 5mm bath - is this considered thick enough ?

-- dkh

Reply to
dkh

Have you considered those excellent products manufactured by Wenzhou Taitong import & export trade Co?

Reply to
Steve Firth

"dkh" wrote

The options are:

5mm 8mm 5mm with some reinforcing coating Steel/Cast iron alternative.

I opted for the 5mm reinforced as I was told that 8mm baths sometimes thin down more than 5mm during forming process at certain points. Was disappointed in quality of coating etc, but once fitted the bath is fine and less flexible than plain 5mm.

The key issue whatever the thickness is support. As an absolute minimum, fix a serious baton along the wall to support the long edge of the bath. Do not rely on poxy 1mm thick bent strip brackets usually supplied with bath. Make sure level is correct and bath drains freely. Check that all supports are adjusted to keep bottom of bath rigid. Make sure points at which supports rest on floor have solid floorboards.

HTH

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Personally, I prefer steel. I know some people like the insulating qualities of plastic, but I'm heavy and it always feels that my foot will go straight through a plastic bath. A quality steel bath (such as Kaldewei) is usually cheaper than a high quality plastic bath and about the same as a cheap and nasty 5mm plastic one.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The message from Steve Firth contains these words:

Do they make a thing to get coffee out of nostrils?

Reply to
Guy King

If you ask nicely, Jessica will blow it for you....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Frankly no. I have superthick ones and one 5m obne. It flexes under water and self loading, and cracks the bath-to-wall seal, even with applied extra stiffening.

Yes, I could have used ugly silicone or a overlaid plastic joint..but I am fussy like that.

If you pay 400 quid plus for a quality acrylic bath, its well worth it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can you make a suggestion for one of the good quality ones?

How did you make the seal?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Jings, I paid less than that for a proper cast iron one.

I'm sure you or at least someone will forgive me for saying that whereas thick acrylic baths are available they suffer from looking a bit crap. Like someone was just too mean to go the extra bit further to get a proper bath.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In what way crap? Simple design without twirly bits and soap recesses everywhere? I was told by my local bath shop proprietor (whatever) that the only reason cheapo baths in the diy sheds have those is to form structural ribs which prevent the thin acrylic from flexing like crazy. Apparently you can't have clean, straightforward design like wot I have if you go for a cheapy thin bath.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I fitted a 8mm bath for an aunt toward the start of the year. Even that was actually quite thin in places. However once properly chopped into the wall on two edges (it already had timber stiffeners running the length and width under the lip, plus board stiffening under the base) it was quite rigid. I am not sure I would have wanted a thinner one though.

Once comment that was made however was that unlike steel / cast iron the acrylic was too highly polished and it was actually hard to keep your footings when standing in it.

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm wrote in news:44e2399b$0$18505$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net:

from what i can find ... a lot of the manufacturers dont declare wall thickness on their literature or websites

and most of those ive found are 5mm...

my local supplier has a range of baths all of which are 5mm apart from one which is 8mm (but not suitable for us)

Reply to
dkh