Answer To Emulsion Paint Removal

I recently posted the following:-

Don't you just love decorating...:-( > I removed some wallpaper today that put on by the previous occupiers of the > house. The paper was stuck ontop of emulsion paint, needless to say that in > places much of the emulsion paint came off as well. > Question is, what is the best method to get rid of all the old emulsion > paint...?

Well I think I have found an easier answer to get rid of the most stubborn paint rather than using just a scraper or steam etc.

I wanted to see just how bad it would look at just putting the wallpaper on the wall without scraping all the old paint off. It looked awful, but as a bonus, something in the paste must have reacted with the emulsion paint that made it lift off the plaster because now, I can use the scraper with very little effort to remove it.

Hope this helps those of you who have similar problems in the future.

-- troubleinstore

mail can be sent via website. Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap

Reply to
troubleinstore

Hmmm, wonder if there is any mileage in mixing some sugar soap into paste, and applying that to remove emulsion then?

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Interesting! I once had the same result when using some old sugar soap on water based paint, bubbled right off!

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I also found an effective emulsion remover: dilute some ecover washing up liquid and soak the paint with it. It just wiped off with a cloth. Unfortunately I wasnt intending to discover this...

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Likewise, I was just cleaning the surfaces after prep and prior to painting. Luckily it was only a temporary patch up job.

Alex

Reply to
Alex