Another boiler question

One factor is that unless you have a dual thermostat boiler (I believe a few exist) there is a conflict between having a lower flow temperature to promote condensing and a higher temp to ensure a quick reheat of the h.w. cylinder. This conflict of course does not arise with combis where you can set the CH and DHW temperatures independently.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Will a significant number of households be affected though? How many on septic tanks have mains gas? Not many I guess. And they probably don't vote Labour anyway so the gov won't care... :-)

Reply to
BillV

Yes and no I think. When the boiler is driving the HW cylinder and the water in it is cold, the return temperature to the boiler will drop also. The boiler will increase power because it will detect a greater temperature drop between flow and return. So you could be getting 20-25 degrees across them and you will still be running pretty efficiently.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Of course, depending on what control system used.

Reply to
IMM

Which part of "nobody will empty them" aren't you understanding ?

Reply to
G&M

Drainoff from our land is directly into the main tributary feeding the local reservoir. It wouldn't soak in much either as the bedrock is not far below the surface.

Don't think North West Water would be too impressed !

Reply to
G&M

Growing number. In the past LPG was main fuel in the country but with Calor being such a poor supplier, most are like me changing to oil.

Few.

Reply to
G&M

That's a good price for a good boiler (assuming that a combi is right for that house) BG would be more like £2380.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Most boielr manufacturers are happy to specify that the condensate may be drained to a soakaway or to a surface water drain. The pH may be lowish but the volume is not great.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Grant weren't when I explained what we had and where we were (Peak Park). After next year I assume people such as myself will have to make some form of vessel to catch the stuff, though you've then got the problem that stuff comes out of bottom of boiler but needs to go into top of barrel. I expect it will then just be stored indefinitely as a lot of stuff is in the country.

Reply to
G&M

It would be worthwhile somebody in a lab. such as at BRE or equivalent to do an analysis of the condensate and also an analysis of rainwater for both chemical content and pH.

AFAIK, condensate contains mainly carbonic acid and in much smaller amounts those of nitrogen and sulphur. Recent condensing boilers have very low nitrogen and sulphur oxide emissions.

Rainwater has similar compounds, although in different proportions. Even unpolluted rainwater has a pH of around 5.5.

It would be interesting to know the extent that condensate would need to be diluted (with, say, tap water) in order to make it equivalent to rainwater. I suspect that it would not be a significant proportion.

There are condensate pumps which are similar to the pumps used to move distillate from air conditioners, should one wish to store it.

No doubt, at some point, somebody will do the analysis and maths and figure out that this is not toxic waste.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hopefully someone will. I think it's the sulphur that makes it classed as industrial waste. Certainly our septic tank people didn't want to know about it.

But anyway the whole boiler issue was becoming such a priority that settling on a non-condensing one seemed the best move. Spending one winter with only logs for heat was quite enough.

Reply to
G&M

Presumably since you mention Grant boilers you refer to an oil condensing boiler with a condensate from a fuel which has several orders of magnitude more sulphur and other ingredients. I can see this condensate potentially having a more problematic content. In the REAL world however I can also see a collecting sump being provided to satisfy the BCO and then it allowed to silt up or an additional pipe into a garden soakaway or other drain being installed once officialdom has been and gone

Reply to
John