Another Blow for the Ecowarriors

Oh come. You mean that Bush's was on Iraq and Obama being a complete flake on foreign policy were/are in the best interests of the US?

Just a few hippies, is it?

IIRC the church people didn't want to look through them as it might lead them into heresy. Which is what we observe with greenies.

The general public, etc, have no idea what any scientist is talking about.

I take it you've not read any of John Gribbin's popular science books, then?

But I have to say that the complexity of say the LHC makes me uneasy. An elegant scientific experiment should be simple (e.g. Milikan's oil drop or something like the photo-electric effect). I can't decide whether it's just that reality is complex or whether science as a whole is missing a trick.

Well plenty of people have that, but he had brains and the ability to correctly call bullshit, too.

And safes. This was based partly on the observation that people tend to pick easy lock combinations based on their birthday or just leave it at the factory default. He was an early hacker.

Well, hypothesis, strictly, rather than theory.

The notion these days is that a lot of "soup" could have arrived on comets. There's plenty of organic molecules been observed in space.

Some of them are quite good.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Most advances since then have been uncontroversial or their benefits obvious, so no parapet would be required. Today we seem to be living in a more complicated environment, where the Enlightenment is in danger and some people believe in magic, homeopathy, and paganism.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Don't take it personally but to quote the well known phrase, "it's the oil stoopid". Thus far at least there's never been any other explanation for the US's continuing strategic interest in the Middle East which necessitates support both for its proxy democratic partner in the region Israel, fuedal despotisms such as Saudi Arabia along with every variety of client in between. In terms of continuing influence over the area Iraq has been total success. A voluble critic of US policy has been deposed - the pretext WMD or human rights violations is immaterial.

Without descending into conspiracy theory the largely unintended consequence of the resultant "insurgence" transforming itself into a stroke into terrorism (the actual potential impact of which can be magnified a thousand fold) can then be used as a pretext for clamping down on civil liberties at home.

A cynic might even be led to believe that some Western Governments deliberately stoke up these largly ineffective and amateurish terrorist types simply so as to maintain their grip on their own populations.

Foreign policy mistakes by the US are legion. But that's what they are, mistakes.

So cui bono then ?

The Princess Diana and 9/11 conspiracies, however implausible otherwerwise are miles more credible than the great "global warming hoax" in terms of cui bono. Which is the first requirement of any conspiracy theory worth its salt.

Nobody wanted the Mother to a future king marrying a Muslim Playboy, the son of a man who lied to a DoT enquiry concerning the source of his wealth.

Similarly by flying two airliners into the WTC towers supposedly by Al Queda - which before the event weren't necessarily meant to collapse - the Empire State hadn't after all - the US administration would be given carte blanche by the public to act in any way it saw fit, both in the Middle East and at home by way of the patriot act etc.

So that by conspiring in a hoax to make the public believe CO2 emissions if left unchecked would bring and end to civilisation as we know it, the US Government and presumably others benefit, in what way exactly ?

The point being that as late as the 1970's it was still widely believed that the Earth was heading for another Ice Age. And so the cooling was the orthodoxy. Which from the perspective of the petrochemical industry and industry generally can only have been regarded as a good thing. So disregarding cui bono for a moment, where were the origins of the warming hoax ? How did it all get strated, apart from Al Gore obviously.

John L. Casti in "Paradigms Lost", and "Paradigms Regained" wrote entire chapters on this topic, basically covering all the bases. Unfortunately for him, a later hack work of his, "Mathematical Mountaintops" was shown to contain large mumbers of plagiarised passages and his reputation has gone down the toilet, somewhat.

michael adams

michael adams

A surprisingly large number people have always believed in magic, paganism, and since1796, homeopathy. The only difference nowadays is since the advent of the internet they've been able to create their own websites so that people such as yourself now know all about them. And how many of them there quite possibly are.

Same as applies to the prevelance of all sorts of human activities; the very existence of which many people were blissfully unaware at all; until the advent of the internet.

michael adams

michael adams

They could easily have come to a deal with Saddam. As it is, they got rid of him but at a huge cost to themselves.

And with fracking, the need for foreign oil has diminished.

Yes, I've met people who believe in that. That the WTC was designed with planes of the time in mind, rather than the rather bigger ones that actually hit, is overlooked. And the plane that hit the WTC was tiny in comparison, and rather more solid in construction, IMO.

Oh money, again. TNP has posted more about that in the past.

And so it is. We are in an interglacial at the moment, and once the various orbital cycles match up again, back we'll go. With the continents where they are at the moment, snowball Earth is a likely state.

Reply to
Tim Streater