Airbourne air admittance valve

Called into a local office block last week to sort out a toilet cistern not filling, they also mentioned that it ponged in the toilet - and it did.

Ground floor toilet, cistern boxed in with those large panels. Removed panel, repair was easy, ball valve full of scale wasn't letting much water in.

Cause of the smell was immediately apparent. Soil pipe had a upright section some 4' high, which had a push fit air admittance valve fitted -

rather it didn't. Found that around 6' away on the opposite side to the cistern. It clearly hadn't fallen off, but been forced out by what must have been considerable pressure for it to have landed where it did.

Easy enough to fix, but I wonder what caused it to be blown out so violently? Any ideas?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Disgruntled ex-employee.

Reply to
dom

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman" saying something like:

Explosive curry gas.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

To blow it that far the ex must have been seriously gruntled!

Reply to
PeterC

I love that PG Wodehouse line;

"He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled."

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Any signs of lager & peanuts? Brussel sprouts? Baked beans?

> Or rather it didn't. Found that around 6' away on the opposite side to

Storm surge in a combined sewer/rainwater It needs a solvent welded AAV.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel